What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purp ssp. purp needed repot

I kept all my Sarracenia on my unheated porch this winter and left them with some water in the containers. They were frozen solid most of the winter and one of the pots showed signs of this.
purp purp I got as a tiny tc clone 5 years ago.
Someone here predicted the pot breakage.:)
PICS
purppurprepot.jpg

purppurprepot4.jpg

purppurprepot2.jpg

purppurprepot3.jpg

repot
purppurprepoted.jpg

Was it the water, ice, or other conditions?
My guess is the ice.
Peace,
Zero

Was it the roots that caused the breakage or the ice?

ICE!

The water is absorbed into the clay pottery/ceramic and freezes... and expands when it does, breaking the structure of the pottery from within the walls itself. Using a plastic pot will stop this from occurring,as the walls of the plastic pot don't absorb any water..... however keep in mind that if the new pot holds water (no drainage), or has media that holds a lot of water, this too can expand when it freezes out and break the plastic pot also. (Not nearly as often or as bad, but I have had it occur, especially when the pot doesn't have drainage.)

Hope that answers your question. I have had that happen for years during the winter. If you even store ceramic/clay pots outdoors, they will tend to break up, sometimes even when stored upside-down. It all depends if they have time to dry enough before freezing weather, to not have the water (in the walls of the pot) freeze and expand. A little water seems to do no harm, as I do overwinter pots outside sometimes, but if you care about them, take them inside!
The broken pottery is excellent for covering the holes in the bottom of the planting pots, so don't let them go to waste! (A nurseryman taught me to use broken pots for this back when I was a kid, and it is the BEST!)
Good luck!

Indeed the roots could cause breakage, but ice is the likely cause. Plastic pots usually split from root growth a lot easier than clay pots.... as they are flimsy and the sun makes the plastic brittle in time. Not that it can't happen with clay pots, but it has been a rare occurrence from my experience. Mentioning that it froze here is the key, as breakage is VERY common with wet clay pots.

Last edited:
You didn't divide it or tear off the old pitchers? How big is the new pot?

ice for sure. great looking clone! and who said purp was slow at dividing? lol

Man what a monster. Such a fine specimen!

Aww, no dividing. (That means no divisions, wink, wink.)

Back