What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. oreophila “Alabama” and a couple other pics.

joossa

Aklys
Hi everyone. I took these pictures last Friday. Sorry for the bad quality; they were taken with a disposable camera.

S. oreophila “Alabama”:
SoreoAlabama01.jpg

SoreoAlabama02.jpg

SoreoAlabama03.jpg

D. filiformis:
DFilimormis05454x307.jpg

Dfiliformis06454x307.jpg

The CP Fortress this year:
CPFortressv2.jpg

Thanks!

Nice Oreophylla. I lost my Alabama clone last winter.

The CP Fortress! *evily* Meh he he!

Last edited:
Haha I love the "CP Fortress"!!! I'm guessing you have problems with dogs / birds or something?

One nice oreo!!! Love the Fortress man! its impenetrable!! Awesome!!

Looking good. Why is "Alabama" in speech marks? Is it just a named location plant?

I like the CP Fortress too.

Hey, tell your neighbors that you don't want your CP's to "get out" and reek havoc on the neighborhood animals and children. ;)

Thanks everyone!

Haha I love the "CP Fortress"!!! I'm guessing you have problems with dogs / birds or something?
^Yes, my dog, ground squirrels, and birds.

Looking good. Why is "Alabama" in speech marks? Is it just a named location plant?
Oops... my mistake. I just doubled checked the grow list of the person I acquired it from, and it reads:
S. oreophila 'Alabama'-turns red late summer
So... I guess its a specific clone or cultivar? I'll have to make note of that.

It's not a registered cultivar and should just be

S. oreophila, Alabama

Nice plants! :-D Awww, you have to cage your plants...how sad :( I hope you let them out to play once in a while.

haha gotta love the focusing on that camera :)

your plants were just so ferocious the camera didnt want to focus on em...

I am just curious, are those pretty pink crutches? The other thing I noticed was that it appears that the back pitcher is staked to the ground. Have they been trying to escape the pot?

Seems you have stronge squirrels in your neck of the country. Here we just put some wire cloth around the pot and that seems to have worked so far.

Nice looking plants. I hope their broken legs heal soon.:-D

Alexis, thanks for the help on the naming.

haha gotta love the focusing on that camera :)

your plants were just so ferocious the camera didnt want to focus on em...
Hehe... yeah I unfortunately don't have a digital camera. :(

I am just curious, are those pretty pink crutches? The other thing I noticed was that it appears that the back pitcher is staked to the ground. Have they been trying to escape the pot?

Seems you have stronge squirrels in your neck of the country. Here we just put some wire cloth around the pot and that seems to have worked so far.

Nice looking plants. I hope their broken legs heal soon.:-D

LOL. The pink crutches are used as stakes. I started seeing the taller pitchers swinging in the desert winds, and as they began to fill up with bugs, I began to fear that they might come down. So, I took an old plastic clothes hanger, cut it into pieces, used some string, and created some cheap, but effective stakes.

Oh, and about the fortress... It's not just the squirrels, but it my little courageous Chihuahua. Sometimes I think she doesn't realize how small she is. She might even slip into a pitcher! ;) Nevertheless, I have seen her uproot one of my Dionaea before, so I decided not to take any chances.

Back