What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. leucaphylla Tarnock culture

You can go ahead and rinse them all the way off. I always do, just to freshen everything up a bit.

Jerry,

I quickly read this thread and wanted to give my two cents. I would repot in the dead of winter or if needed early spring before much growth starts for best results. As long as the media is not completely frozen solid to the roots of the plant when removed from the pot just rinse somewhat softly with water (or you can let the soil attached to the roots remain and repot all of it into the new media. I've always used 1:1 or better in my opinion 2:1 Canadian Sphangnum peat moss : pool sand (found at a pool supply store) I've also used perlite in place of the sand but prefer sand for no good reason. Pool sand can be bought at pool supply stores. I like to stay away from watering with tap (mine is 99-105 TDS) constantly but used to when I ran out of rain water. I grew many plants for a long time on tap + 100 TDS that I consider hardwater but did flush with rain water. I mean I watered with rainwater intemittently. My opinion, if you have to use tap but try and use rain water in stages to reduce the hardness. I currently have three rain barrels and keep adding them as my collection grows because pitcher plants are sensitive to cations. Also try and beat 6 hours of direct sun in summer.

If the plants have been in the same pot for 2 years, yeah repot, and that may be the issue. I agree with several above good posts. If you have a stagnant plant after meeting all of the requirements which in my experience are not completely necessary, it happens. I've been sent a few plants that just never took off for me and others that took over. If all of the plants are acting the same maybe change your water source, sun exposure, etc. If one is acting stale, it happens. I would repot atleast every two years or make divisions in winter or spring. The NASC auction is every spring and is a great way to add to your Sarracenia (or other) collection.

Hope this helped. Good Growing!

Last edited:
Not a Number mentioned mealy bugs. I have not noticed any on my plants. I grow cactus also and with them we can get Root Mealy Bugs right in the potting mix. Nasty critters. I suppose that would be impossible to get in wet boggy plants. Yes? No?

Thanks all for your help.

They'll get into the roots for sure and survive flooded conditions. Just because you don't see 'em up top doesn't mean they aren't there. This just happens to be a pot of S. 'Tarnok':

P2280040.jpg

Not a Number: Wow!! and Ugh!! That is one ugly photo of your Tarnock. Did the plant survive? With my cactus I use a 2% Soap solution drench and sometimes mix in Malathion to kill Root Mealy Bugs. What do you do for CP?

I made a video of my collection yesterday in lieu of a photo as it is easier for me at present. I did remove my Tarnock from the pot in the video and there was no evidence of Mealy Bug, but I did notice what may be a fungus on the pitchers of the plant. Could it be Rust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd7-zcfAczw

I use bayer advanced with merit and just add to the water of my circ bog. It goes systemic and is harmless they say to humans. But there are other options too.

Not a Number: Wow!! and Ugh!! That is one ugly photo of your Tarnock. Did the plant survive? With my cactus I use a 2% Soap solution drench and sometimes mix in Malathion to kill Root Mealy Bugs. What do you do for CP?

I made a video of my collection yesterday in lieu of a photo as it is easier for me at present. I did remove my Tarnock from the pot in the video and there was no evidence of Mealy Bug, but I did notice what may be a fungus on the pitchers of the plant. Could it be Rust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd7-zcfAczw

Nice video of your plants, they all look healthy. As for the Tarnok, the spots you are seeing I think are quite normal for this time of year with older growth, mine look the same. If you look inside the pitchers, are there bugs piled up at these spots? I often see this same thing from bugs rotting in the pitchers and some will have actual holes where bees and yellow jackets try to chew their way out of the pitchers. This plant definitely needs to be repotted. I think you can wait until it has gone dormant later in winter to do this if you choose, but it would not harm it to repot now as I have transplanted many plants from pots to my bog this time of year with no ill-effect. You should see much better growth next year in a bigger pot, but these usually do not send up their best pitchers until late summer/early fall.

I am far from an expert, only speak from personal experience. I can go out tomorrow and take some pictures of my 2 Tarnok and PM you if you would like a comparison? I have one small Tarnok taken out of a very small pot this year and planted in the bog and it has small pitchers also like yours, and the other Tarnok the same situation last year and you should see it now that it has had a whole growing season with room to grow, along with the brown spots you are seeing with yours.

I drenched it the day before with a solution of Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer. It's a concentrate with the same active ingredients as Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Insect Killer. The directions lists a concentration that is 6x higher than the Rose & Flower for use on soil pests. I divided the plants and pressure washed the roots and all the nooks and crannies on the rhizomes with water from the garden hose. After repotting I drenched them again and once a month for the next 3 months. I drenched all my Sarracenia pots as a precaution. No apparent ill effects on the plants.

So far no reinfestation (I pull the root ball out to check) since I treated them last year, but I doubt I'll ever be rid of them. If they come back I'll just toss the plants.

Spots/holes on the pitcher tubes - usually a wasp or honey bee trapped in the tube. Wasps can survive long enough to chew holes in the tube and sometimes escape. And either the nectar or venom in the honey bee cause the burns - perhaps they may even sting the tube?

I am far from an expert, only speak from personal experience. I can go out tomorrow and take some pictures of my 2 Tarnok and PM you if you would like a comparison? I have one small Tarnok taken out of a very small pot this year and planted in the bog and it has small pitchers also like yours, and the other Tarnok the same situation last year and you should see it now that it has had a whole growing season with room to grow, along with the brown spots you are seeing with yours.

I would like to see the photo's, but why not post them up here on this thread? That way others can see them too.

I was going to do that last night, but my camera's batteries were low and so would not transfer the pictures. I will have this resolved today and post them this afternoon.

First frost of the season last night here, this summer went by so fast!

I would like to see the photo's, but why not post them up here on this thread? That way others can see them too.

Here ya go http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/sets/72157627986142842/detail/

I don't how you put pictures in posts, so have to direct you to Flickr. Can anyone help me with this?

These are pictures of leucophylla 'Tarnok' older pitchers and how the bugs breaking down discolors the outside of the pitchers and makes it look like they have a disease.

Never mind

Last edited:
DJ57

Thanks for the photo's. I checked my Tarnok tonight and see the bugs are at the level of the discoloration just as you have said. Well that is a relief.

As for photo's from your Flickr account. Open the photo by clicking on it. Above it is a pull down that says Share. Click on it and there is a link you copy and paste into your message. I did that and here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/6284186063/

Edit: Oops, it didn't work and just gave the link. I think you may need to remove the url from the brackets and replace it with img. I'll try that next.

Edit 2: That didn't work. Maybe the img brackets need to be added in front of the url

url]

Edit 3: Just checked the code for the photo's I put up from Photobucket. There the IMG is all caps. And the url is not there.

Edit 4: I just uploaded my first photo to my Flickr account and didn't see the sharing features I see on Photobucket. I right clicked on my photo and copied the url in the properties pop up. Let me see if I get a link or a photo.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6035/6287669409_637f5be0a7_m.jpg

Edit 5: I clicked on share and a different url shows up

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68518219@N02/

Edit 6; I give up. I don't know how to use Flickr to post up photo's.

Last edited:
I know how to get Flickr links into posts, but I see some post with pictures in already in them without having to link to another site and that is what I am wanting to know how to do. Sorry for the confusion, I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to computer stuff like this, LOL.

Your Flickr link worked for me. BEAUTIFUL Scarlet Belle, one of my favorite sarrs. Here is a picture of mine that I divided from a bigger one this year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/6256853048/

Good luck with your Tarnok, I am sure it will grow nice next year when you get it repotted. Looks like you are doing everything right because your plants are beautiful.

I know how to get Flickr links into posts, but I see some post with pictures in already in them without having to link to another site and that is what I am wanting to know how to do. Sorry for the confusion, I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to computer stuff like this, LOL.

Your Flickr link worked for me. BEAUTIFUL Scarlet Belle, one of my favorite sarrs. Here is a picture of mine that I divided from a bigger one this year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/6256853048/

Good luck with your Tarnok, I am sure it will grow nice next year when you get it repotted. Looks like you are doing everything right because your plants are beautiful.

DJ57

Thanks for the compliments on the plants. I tried to get Flickr to show up a photo like you want. Each of the links that show up in my attempt was a try doing different things, but nothing worked. I even went in to my account and tried to upload a photo here myself. Only links. I keep my photo's at Photobucket because thats where I started out. Edit: Photobucket no longer allows Third Party Hosting, which is what I have been doing. I no longer have a use for Photobucket.

See if you can ask on the Flickr site, maybe they have a forum for help, or a tech service link. Worth a try. I'd play up the competition. Let them know Photobucket allows the posting of photo's directly in a post unlike their wimpy links. That might light a fire under them.

We had our first frost last night and snow is forecast for some areas near me tomorrow. I need to get my garlic planted yet!!!

Last edited:
I am going to check out Photobucket, thanx for the tip. Flickr was the only site I knew about and I don't really like it that much, but wanted a way to share photos.

We had our first frost also. We did not do garlic this year, too many and nobody to give away to anymore.

We are having heavy wet snow the day after our first frost. Nearby has gotten 10-15 inches so far. (It melts so fast I can't estimate what we got, maybe 8") Trees falling all over. Transformers exploding-I heard three today. Power lines down.

Neighbors tree limb about 8 inches in diameter came down and hit the roof of our garage. Ridge vent damaged. Roof is snow covered so can't see for sure.

Supposed to be in the 50's Monday.

OMG, crazy weather! I hope not too much damage to your garage, lucky not the house. I had to bring my Dewy Pines in today. They tolerated the few frosts we have gotten quite well, but I know not for long.

I signed up on Photobucket. Yeh, can now post pictures! Now if I can just figure out how to make them smaller so they don't take up the whole screen.

DewyPine.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've been on this site. I plan on repotting this plant this week. We are having some really warm weather this winter. The October snow was really the only snow for the season so far.

Hello Jerry. Just was reading through and watched your video too the thing with the brown marks and holes happened to me too. Do you feed your plants? Those brown marks happened to my plants when I fed my plants and pushed the prey down the tube, or if they get super stuffed in one area. Notice how they happen right by where the tube starts becoming very narrow. Shouldn't really cause problems.

I know from my experience with my Leucophylla Titan (only had for one season though) it put out really small pitchers all year then late fall it put out one really big pitcher. From what I have read Leucophylla is a late season grower though so this makes sense.

Other then that very nice plants they all look very healthy and happy especially your Diana's Delight and Purpureas. Hope to see some more photo's and videos from you :D

I just finished repotting all of my Sarracenia (except for the purpurea) and used 50/50 sphagnum peat moss/perlite. I have photo's in the camera of what the plants looked like right out of the greenhouse before pruning off the dead pitchers, after prune, the Tarnock bare root. Its dark now so no repotted photo's. I'll get them up ASAP.

Main question now, I'll check in AM before work hoping someone can answer: Should I keep the freshly repotted plants in a shaded area for a period of time to let the plants root in? If so, how long?

The Dana's Delight must have 12 to 24 flower buds about 1.5" tall now. It has about 15 of last years pitchers that are still fresh and great looking and producing dew/nectar/liquid around the mouth of the pitcher. Catching insects like crazy in our warm/hot spring. The greenhouse did not get cold enough in our warm winter this year. The flytraps didn't loose their leaves either. They are catching insects too.

Back