What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava Variety ID

Received this last year. I have no idea what this is. At first, I believed it was rubricorpra, but I've also been told it's ornata. I have no clue so I need your help. :x
SN853558.jpg

SN853559.jpg

SN853560.jpg

Here's an old picture of the flava, note the red pitcher:
SN851798.jpg

Looks a lot like ornata to me, however it could be rubricorpa if it isn't recieving full sun all day (which it looks like it is).
Nice plant.

Well. It COULD be in a brighter spot, but I just can't put it anywhere else in my backyard. I'm pretty sure the sprinkler water wouldn't be so great for CPs, so they're somewhat near the corner of my backyard where the water doesn't get to them, but they still receive hours of sunlight. In the morning, the sun is blocked by my fence. :I

From looks alone, it looks like Ornata but rubicorpora will turn greenish if it doesn't get enough light. I've also read reports from Barry Rice that it doesn't take much for rubicorpora to turn greenish. Even changing the orientation of the pot can cause the red in the tube to leach away to a heavily-veined green.

From looks alone, it looks like Ornata but rubicorpora will turn greenish if it doesn't get enough light. I've also read reports from Barry Rice that it doesn't take much for rubicorpora to turn greenish. Even changing the orientation of the pot can cause the red in the tube to leach away to a heavily-veined green.

I agree. And for yet another possibility, it may not be a typical example of rubricorpora or ornata.

Hey Capensis,

Do you have any updates on this? I remember reading this thread a while back.... Did the pitcher tubes darken up to solid red like those of a var. rubricorpra or did they stay veined like var. ornata?

Ah, unfortunately, I don't. :/ It died about a month after this for unknown reasons. The pitchers withered and the rhizome browned, inside and out.

Sorry to hear that. It looked like a promising plant... :(

Yeah, it did look like it was going to be a nice plant, but oh, well. Thanks on checking up, though. :)

Back