What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RRVFT

your only problem is getting them to new york! Triffid is in Australia, and I think you have to order at least a hundred.

I think you have to spend 100+ Ausy bucks or somthing. Then there is also 25% shipping cost.

Mix

do they have a wholesale program?

(evil grin)

I think I am going to forget this if it costs that much! I'll go for another Nepenthes or Sarracenia:) Nep.G.

Triffid Park does not wholesale.
Next order to Triffid or to Exotica and I will get some Royal Red and maybe some other varieties. Triffids stock changes around, and not everything available as plants is available in TC.
Tony

I am sure u don't have to spend &#36100.00+aus...

HEHE you need to read the details for folks buying from them internationally. The phytosanitary certificate alone is 120 AUS.. plus the minimum order of 100 AUS in plants. So right there you are at 220 aus minimum plus shipping.
Tony

See what i mean about the stupid regulations australian cp nurseries put up? I hate it-all this money!

Not that I agree with minimums ( that is why I will NEVER do it/them). Some places feel that they have to make it "worth their time" to do something.
I know I am not adding conversation...I am just venting. = )
People need to have access to these plants ( and all other things).

Personally I think it's a different ball game if you have minimums for international orders vs domestic orders. Or wholesale vs retail. With international orders it's quite conceivable that it would cost more in time and effort to do the paperwork than you can make in profit on a single plant. Especially if you have to pay an employee. Sometimes in business Time is Money.. and Money is what keeps the business going.
Tony

But ya know...

We have shipped 1 plant to Canada...We have shipped 1 plant to Indoneisa....We have shipped a few plants to Japan.
Anyway...
Sometimes it is not about 'making money'.  We have 4 people that work here ( not on a regular basis...but they come in and help when needed).  They get paid whether we ship to Arkansas or Canada.  
In this world, I (if alone) want to make people happy.  ( and I know that I am the loud minority ).  
People deserve the right to get the things that they want.  And if some one oveseas wants 1 common flytrap...well then ...I am willing to do ( I just wish that other places....that started off small too at one time....do the same).  I think that big business losses fact of what made them big...the little guy!

I am done..  I am sorry...Certain things just create a spark in me and I feel that if things aren't said.  People do not know where you stand.  =/
This is by no means a nasty tone ( for those trying to figure it out.) This is merely a 'speech'  if you will.  Applause at the end will be welcome.

O I am just debating!

Yes sometimes it is not about making money, but to make people happy. Unfortunately too much of that and you might end up telling the bankruptcy court.. "but I made them happy!"

T

I love a good debate ( or discussion...whichever word you perfer to use)
You play a good devil's advocate (oxymoron)

As long as you are good...good should only come to you.

It is not really 'costing' anyone to do a little extra. The plants are the same ( or service ). The money made is same no matter how or where you send it.
It is just offering it and allowing others to feel the happiness that you felt when you first got into these plants. That is what I want to do. And I know people are not like me, but just think if more were! :cool:
I do not promote my willingness to do things for everyone...but I try to make it a point to do what I can when I can.
I atleast give it a thought instead of a 'no'.

Your response senator. You have 2 mins. :biggrin:

*clap clap clap*
To take both sides of the argument, money is nothing without happiness but apparently in the world today happiness is nothing and someone is no-one without money....
wow, that sounds pretty cool

That would be right but...

Everyone is SOMEONE. Every person is defined by his or hers personality and traits.

And happiness is sometimes NOT having money.

Money is a necessary evil. To most people it is necassary and we all know it is evil.

If we all practised mom's philosiphy of 'sharing' ...we would be a great world.

Hey Jaie,
You're very right.
(time for my speech/rant)
smile.gif

I've only been into plant collecting as a serious hobby for a few years now(it started with orchids, not cp), and I just realized that I've spent literally thousands of dollars, just to advance my own interests. I've got a lot to show for it, but the rest of my (material) life is somewhat weakened as a result. Translation: was it money worth spending? I consider money very necessary, but I wouldn't have said the same a couple thousand years ago--then, (predominantly) there was just trading! I'll give you this flytrap for your sundew, right? Then money came along, and here we are--the ultra rich, the ultra poor, and everyone in between. THAT is why my life is becoming a search for money, to fuel the start of an obsession. There are still many great people out there, willing to share their hobby with others(e.g. fatboy and Barry Meyers-Rice), and I thank you.
Big change in subject matter! Maybe you should start a forum called something like "CP and Intellectual Pursuit"!
smile.gif

Chris

My Oh my! I do believe we are in the company of genius. Grand debate you have going.
Now what was the original question?
smile.gif
Guess we need an area for ethereal quests.

I like the sound of that. :smile:

I will have to sleep on that one and try to slip it by phil.

And greenhouse...the origianl topic I think isn't far off of where we went. It is about putting a patent on a plant and not allowing others to reproduce it without paying a fee. Which I wouldn't do either...but I will just stand on my little soap box and be heard.

I have a headache... try reading this entire movey vs happiness thing all in one sitting...

Nuprin... little... yellow... different...

Wow, what a great discussion on the money aspect. I believe that one should be rewarded for all the effort put in to get the new plant. However, the time frame should be limited as I'm sure that while under protection the plant would be expensive and thus not ava to everyone. After a givin time frame then it's really time to grow and supply will make the plant more affordable.

Back