What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rooting H. sarracenioides

I was lucky enough to obtain an unrooted divsion of H.sarracenioides from a most generous grower. I was a little nervous having never rooted a division of heliamphora, but I was given a good set of instructions on what to do so gained a little confidence.

Basically what I did was place the division (two actually because one leaf fell off while I was handling it) into a mix of LFS/perlite with a heavy top dressing of live LFS. I wrapped the tips of the heliamphora in a little live LFS and then placed the pitchers about 1/4 of the pitcher into the media to insure the tips had good support and had a low chance of drying out. I then placed the pot into a zip lock bag to insure 100% humidity and gave it standard heli conditions high light (about 1 inch from my shop lights) and cool nights (55-60 degrees). Oh, also gave it a weak solution of fertilizer (15:15:15) and fed it to the pitchers. The standard solution I have been feeding my nepenthes pitchers.

A few weeks later....

img0070oq.jpg

img0071w.jpg

img0073sv.jpg

No signs yet that the darker pitcher has rooted yet, it's still alive so I'm not counting it out yet.

Last edited:
Awesome. Congrats on the success and thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I edited the above post. I stated I used peat/perlite. I must have sarracenia on the brain or something because it was LFS/Perlite. DUH!!!

Thanks for catching that Ron.

Damon,

very nicely done mate...

:beer:
Av

Damon, nice plant, and congrats . . .

Thanks all!

Guess I can say I am officially stricken with the dreaded heliamphoria bug.

IMHO with unrooted heli divisions you have two primary issues, transpiration and nuntrient uptake.

Without roots both of these must be addressed by the grower. Keeping the pitchers from excessive moisture loss and providing nutrients until the plant can do it for itself is critical. Burying the pitchers deep in live sphag, bagging them and keeping a weak nutrient mix in the pitchers are key.

If the unrooted division is made of unopened pitchers... cut these open so manual feeding/watering of the pitchers can be done.

Once new growth is obvious, slowly acclimate to standard heli conditions.

very well done

I agree with Butch and usually root my cuttings and divisions in covered germination trays -- the vented taller ones. Also, I second the notion of splitting and feeding any of the developing leaves. It does work . . .

Wow, nice! I had one but just couldn't make it grow. I'm jealous now :drool:

I would have never thought to do these things on my own. Thanks Butch for the excellent advice.

if youre bored.... LOL
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U4rzLhz4HHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice, Butch. It reminded me of those old science films from middle school -- "Our Mister Sun" and "Your friend, Potassium Chloride" . . .

Back