What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting a vine?

I have a Nep that has two big vines on it and I want to cut one of them around the woody part and replant it in a pot. Right now it has plenty of leaves and pitchers. What is the procedure for rooting a large cutting?

-Rail

Large cuttings are not a good idea. As it will have no roots, the cutting needs to be small enough for the developing roots to support it. If the cutting is too large, it will simply exhaust itself and die.

With Nepenthes vine, it is best to cut it into 2 - 3 node cuttings, although I've done plenty of 1 node cuttings with success, although this is best with species where the internode is long.

The closer to the growing tip a cutting is, the more likely it is to strike successfully. The older, woody parts of the vine root more reluctantly. Further, the dormant nodes on older parts of the stem are less likely to sprout.

One good idea is to cut the tip off and plant it as a cutting. After several weeks, some of the nodes below the cut point will swell into new growth buds. Once you have those activated, portions of vine with active nodes can be cut and planted.

Cheers, Hamish

OK, so I should just cut off the tip? The plant is wierd in that it seems to have stopped vineing and right on top it has like 7 leaves and pitchers within maybie a 1/2 inch space on the stem. Should I just lop off that part? Would I need to cut off all the leaves ( they are huge )? Thanks for the responce.

-Rail

You could just cut and root every node... it'd be very hard not to get at least a few plants out of it.

Another reason not to root a whole vine is you have a bunch of leaves that have already pitchered. Why go to all the trouble if half your plant has already done its thing? If you start with single nodes you'll practically have a brand new plant.

And it's better to cut the leaves down to 1/3rd their length. They just rob moisture from the cutting. Or if there's still a nice pitcher attached that you want to keep, you could fill it with water to keep it hydrated.

A little note, I've noticed that if I take climbing stem cuttings that the plant will stay in a upper pitcher habit. So if you are taking cuttings to get lower pitchers again, you might want to think again!
smile.gif

Back