What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

repotting

i think my phal is done blooming for the season. i kinda want to repot it but i dont even know if its necessary especially since im not an expert orchid person. so before i do anything to my plant, i have a couple of questions that i need help with.

-can i repot anytime i want to?
-is there a difference between using pots and baskets? which one if more beneficial for the plant?
-do i have to fertilize the phal every month? i've had this plant for a few months and i havent been giving it any fertilizers.

I'm no expert but I'll try to help.

- I don't think it matters as long as it's not in bud. I've never noticed a difference.
-A pot will need watered less than an orchid basket, so it depends on your conditions and what plant you want. For a phal I suggest a pot
-I fertilize weakly weekly.

Let us know your growing conditions, and we can make a more educated guess as to what will work well for you. If possible, need to know temps, humidity, air movement, drainage situation (ie tray with pebbles, saucer, etc.), lighting, and desired watering schedule. Without more information, I'd still say that a pot with a bark mixture will work very well for a Phal. Mine seem pretty happy in terracotta pots with coarse bark for medium, and I only have to water them about oce a week. If you have to go away, and they're not in bloom, they can make it almost two weeks between watering with this method. The biggest downside is that the terracotta pots (and bark) will wick moisture, so you'll need to fill the bottom inch or two with styrofoam peanuts to keep the roots from getting soaked and rotting. If you want to water less often, and keep your plant's roots from sticking to the pot, use a plastic pot.

the plant is in my office where the temp is normally 70-73 degrees. It's planted in a 6 inch ceramic pot with a hole in the bottom so when I water the plant, I just let the water drain out. These are ok conditions for the phal right? It seems to be doing ok...

Sounds like good conditions to me, esp. since Phals don't need a whole lot of light. From what you described, it's probably growing in a plastic pot in sphag inside that clay pot. You should be able to pull it out of the plastic pot, clean off the roots, and get rid of anything squishy, like old rotted roots, etc. Then just plunk it right into the clay pot, and fill with bark. It should do really well.

-do i have to fertilize the phal every month? i've had this plant for a few months and i havent been giving it any fertilizers.

I agree with Clint about the "weekly, weakly" attitude. I use the "Better Grow" orchid ferts. There are two: one for all the time and one "bloom booster." I use the first for three waterings and the latter every fourth watering. I haven't had the phal long enough to tell if this pattern helps blooming, but apparently it's endorsed by the OAS (not that endorsements really mean too much in some cases, lol.).

I just have two jugs with the ferts mixed in for each variation, and every time I water I just pour straight from the jug so every time I water I fertilize.

xvart.

You should repot at least every two years. If you are using bark that is in fairly big pieces, that should be fine. If the bark chips are finer, more like a mulch, then you may want to repot every year. You can tell by looking at the chips. If they are breaking down pretty quickly, becoming more compacted and more like mulch than chunks, you should repot. Since most orchids grow on trees or other objects, the roots need potting material to be nice and light. Best to do it after flowering and before any new leaf growth really starts up.

Some orchids have more sensitive roots and need to be repotted even more frequently if in bark. That's why people experiment with other materials. My experience with Phals says they're pretty tolerant.

Back