What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting growing VFTs

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Since all the warehouse wonders that I've acquired since October of last year pushed up flower stalks I skipped dormancy on them.

However, I would like to repot them into a better medium: one is in pure LFS, the others in pure peat.

Since they are growing what special care should I take in replanting them to minimize shock? Or should I just leave them as is until spring of 2008?

I would suggest leaving them. I wouldn't disturb a growing VFT....especially after flowering. My notice is that it takes atleast 1 month or more to actually re-acclaimatise and reburrow into its new medium. Its not good to do this when its growing well already. Do it after dormancy.

Hmmm.. do you plan on eventually getting them outside year-round?? Or are you always going to use fridge or some other "Artificial" dormancy??

If they're going outdoors, I would not sweat it, just pot 'em carefully in whatever you like- they might slow down a bit for a while, but it shouldn't be much of a big deal, they will thrive through the summer then sleep next winter :D

But that's just me.........

They should all be going outdoors around the end of February.

Okay, I would suggest just doing it now then, they'll be good and ready by then I'd figure- the fact that your situation is not "optimal" means you can do things a bit differently than is commonly advised, you know?? It's not ideal exactly, but it's what you have to deal with, so just do it up, the worst that can happen is they will be a tad confused for a bit but I have transplanted "awake" VFTs enough times to know that it isn't a death sentence like some folks would have you believe.
* waits for Bugweed to come in and shoot theory full of holes :) *

I'd do it now-ish, but I've repotted whenever with no ill effects... VFT's ain't too sensitive with their roots and grow like crazy during the season.
Also I wouldn't use pure LFS or Peat, it'll get water-logged and root-rot. I prefer peat/sand/perlite, mostly Peat, then Perlite with Sand being the least. I never measure either, I mix it "by feel"
I would definitely repot ASAP, I usually do as soon as I get those "warehouse specials" in my door cause the soil is usually junk and the pot's are too small.

I had to repot mine this past season three and four times each for different reasons, none of which were my choice and like noted they did ok. Just make sure that whatever you put them in has some good drainage holes.

Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't pay attention to substrate ratios! I just start throwing crap in a bucket untill it looks right lol.

You can grow Dionaea in really almost anything. Mine are currently growing in muck that's pretty much clay and are doing fantastically.

I've taken a liking to using Schultz Profile over perlite. It's heavier(but still is very light) but doesn't grow algae at the first opportunity, looks more natural than perlite, and is inert. Doesn't float either lol.

I just throw sand and peat moss in a bucket with the water.

Back