What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting dorment flytraps

Since it's almost March and it will be getting warmer soon I was getting ready to repot all of my vft into one big pot. The thing is I have pots with all black dead leaves. I might have a couple green leaves and that's it. How do I repot them? Do I cut the black off and repot the roots? How will it grow with no leaves to be in the sun? I'm going to repot in stright peat moss. No perlite or anything else. Good or bad?

As long as the rhizome is white and firm (alive) and NOT black (or dark colored) and squishy, new leaves and traps will grow once the temperatures start to creep up, don’t worry about the sun having to hit the leaves in order for the plant to grow(initially).

Cut off the black leaves. Then, just repot them like any other VFT: make an indentation that is the length from the top of the rhizome (the white part) to the bottom of the longest root(s) in the growing medium, then insert the plant and pat the growing medium down gently to eliminate empty space around the roots and rhizome. EASY! Oh yeah, I would use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite. Using only peat moss does not provide good drainage, and will result in wet waterlogged medium, which isn’t good for the VFT’s.

Don’t worry too much about them. Two of my typicals completely died back to the rhizome over winter. I repotted them this past weekend, and while in the process of doing so, I saw that there was new green growth from the center. Temperatures here in Southern California are starting to become spring-like, so many of my VFT’s are starting to wake up.

Good luck!

I have never repotted dormant VFT's but my guess is that it doesn't matter wether you cut off the dead leaves before or after you repot. just make sure to snip them off close to the base with scissors. try not to pull them off though because I accidently uprooted one of my smaller VFT's that way. Try to work your way far underneath the soil, under the roots and gently pull the VFT out. If the base of the VFT, aka. the rhizome, is white then the plant is alive and well. I grow my VFT's in sphagnum peat moss without perlite, and they do just fine. That has just been my personal experience though, so do what you feel is best. when it starts to get warmer outside you should notice new leafgrowths.

Back