What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen of Tarnok

I have an S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' which had some major problems early this year. It came in with a bad aphid infestation, which went on into complete rhizome rot. There's nothing left above ground but a black husk, but I've checked the pot throughout the summer, and all of the underground roots are still firm and white, three months later. I was wondering if anyone had a technique for coaxing these roots into putting out some new leaves. So far, they don't seem to be doing much but staying alive. Thanks in advance.

I don't think sarracenia come back easily, or at all from the roots. But if you have a small piece of rhizome with a root, it will probably grow something eventually. You're probably talking 5 years until you get a decent sized plamt though.

I'd throw away and start again personally.

I think throwing it away might be a little extreme, but Alvin is right. If you really want a Tarnok in your collection for show, you'd best look for a new one. If it does come back, it'll be a charity case for a while as it gets back into good health. Set it aside, treat it like normal and give it some time. If you can find some, water it with Superthrive every now and again to help reduce stress and promote growth. It'll make a good project, and if it survives then in ten years you'll have warm, fuzzy memories of watching it return to health. But don't be heartbroken if it doesn't - these things happen some times.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Superthrive

Snakeoil!
smile_n_32.gif

Don't bother

Alexis you would be surprised.  Superthrive does have its advantages.  Its a b vitamin complex.  Its like a human taking b12 and other b complex viatmins.  It gives a human an energy boost, and can do the same for plants too.  B vitamins are a needed vitamin at the cellular level.  Just don't over do it.

i use superthrive just in case it really does work.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Alexis you would be surprised. Superthrive does have its advantages. Its a b vitamin complex. Its like a human taking b12 and other b complex viatmins. It gives a human an energy boost, and can do the same for plants too. B vitamins are a needed vitamin at the cellular level. Just don't over do it.

Tried it on VFTs, sarracenia and even non carnivorous annuals and perennials. No difference in growth rate or root development in my experience.

Back