What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

regarding chopping for spring?

a couple of you recommended that i cut my d. adalae since its not growing very well and that since its spring it will grow back out really healthy. my question is can i do this to my sarrs as well? its only about 8 inches tall at the most but the pitchers look half dead and deformed. will it be ok to do this or should i just wait it out?

tia,
~b:scratch:

I prefer to cut/pull dead material from my Sarracenia before they show many signs of growth in the spring. Too many times in the past I've lopped off new growth while removing the old dead stuff.

It it's dead, you can cut it off. In fact, if it's dead you should cut it off. You can just cut off the dead part or go the whole 9 yards (some people chose to do this for aesthetics.) If it's living, leave it.

As for the "deformed" pitchers you mention, ensure that they are deformed due to environmental conditions (either they're winter leaves, or some intermediate) and aren't deformed due to pests such as aphids.

Periodic burns remove the dead material in nature, so you're just acting as a substitute.

the deformation is caused by the sarr overgrowing the death cube, that pitcher is green but all the other ones looked at one point to be healthy with red veins but this isnt the case anymore as most of the top halfs of them are dried up(or atleast the hood). the bottom half of them look good, and its not dying from being outside. i just dont want the plant to look half dead retarded during spring...

I would cut off all the pitchers except two or three large ones..
get rid of most of the deformities, but not all the pitchers,
(you want to leave a few behind for photosynthesis.)
then, wait for 2 or 3 new pitchers to appear and open (wont take long, 4-6 weeks)
then, when the brand new pichers are open and looking good, cut off the rest of the old, original pitchers...

My sarrs start each spring with NO leaves at all..
but they are well-rested and had a nice long growing season the year before..
I wouldnt recommed cutting off ALL the pitchers from a recent "death cube" sarr..it might not be strong enough to handle it..

just leave a few on until all-new pitchers appear, then cut off the old ones..
presto! totally better looking "all-new" plant! ;)

Scot

I would cut off all the pitchers except two or three large ones..
get rid of most of the deformities, but not all the pitchers,
(you want to leave a few behind for photosynthesis.)
then, wait for 2 or 3 new pitchers to appear and open (wont take long, 4-6 weeks)
then, when the brand new pichers are open and looking good, cut off the rest of the old, original pitchers...

My sarrs start each spring with NO leaves at all..
but they are well-rested and had a nice long growing season the year before..
I wouldnt recommed cutting off ALL the pitchers from a recent "death cube" sarr..it might not be strong enough to handle it..

just leave a few on until all-new pitchers appear, then cut off the old ones..
presto! totally better looking "all-new" plant! ;)

Scot

sounds good to me, all the pitchers are original so its all really jacked up looking, the problem with this technique is that my sarr seriously has 1 good pitcher on it and its litterally like 2 inches tall..all the decent size ones(4-7in.) are either half dead or just deformed as hell. i guess i will cut off the dying ones and just leave the deformed ones since its still all green.

~b

I cut all of mine (sarrs) down prior to sticking them in the fridge in the fall. All are throwing flower spikes right now. With my Adelae I only cut off the dead leaves. I am amassing quite the collection of them now! So easy to grow, transplant,etc.!

Back