What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refrigerator Dormancy Necessary for my Flytraps?

This year I planted my first CP bog terrarium in many years, and I've been really pleased with the results. I wasn't terribly confident based on all the warnings you find online regarding the suitability of CPs for terrarium life, but after a little experimentation with lighting and the level of the water table, my plants really took off. I live about 20 miles inland from San Diego. Despite our reputation for mild weather, temps in the inland valleys can hit 110 F in the summer and dip down to the 20s at night in the winter. Since I don't heat or cool my home much, my terrarium can come close to these extremes, though I never lt temps dip below the 50s in the house.

Since my plants have done so well, I've been reluctant to induce dormancy in my venus flytraps by placing them in the refrigerator for a few months. Since temps began dropping in the last few weeks, I've noticed that my flytraps and Cape sundews have turned an impressive dark red (they were entirely green all year until now). I'm wondering if placing the flytraps in the refrigerator is necessary? Any helpful advice would be appreciated! The attached pics were taken today.

f87cad51738ce70a3737fc03d3f34fe2.jpg

f231e10b846ce5d79432125907b2b9a5.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

It seems to me the best option is to place the tray outside for the winter.

Nightly lows in the 20's won't be a problem for any of the temperate species in your bog. Dormancy is necessary. Without it the plants will eventually die. Before you put your bog outside for the winter I would remove the cape sundews, if you want to keep those growing year round.

Nightly lows in the 20's won't be a problem for any of the temperate species in your bog. Dormancy is necessary. Without it the plants will eventually die. Before you put your bog outside for the winter I would remove the cape sundews, if you want to keep those growing year round.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be honest. I was thinking more in terms of leaving the sundews in the terrarium indoors and placing the flytraps in my refrigerator. Can the flytraps really withstand 20 deg F? If so, I can see how your way prbably makes more sense.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be honest. I was thinking more in terms of leaving the sundews in the terrarium indoors and placing the flytraps in my refrigerator. Can the flytraps really withstand 20 deg F? If so, I can see how your way probably makes more sense.

I've had Dionaea to 0F and all survived. I think that answers your question.

Edit. Perhaps I should mention that the D. capensis also survived 0F :)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back