What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

reds no longer reds, help please

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
For over a decade i have had a SLC Jewel box "scheherazade" that has reliably bloomed a deep red. Outside in summer, indoors rest of the year under T12 tubes. A few years ago i added a "dark waters" which under the same conditions has always bloomed magenta rather than red. Deciding the label was wrong I renamed it and moved on. This past winter both were moved to under T10 tubes. The magenta one bloomed out a deep purple and now the "scheherazade" is blooming magenta. Any ideas?

That is indeed odd.

Of the two, Dark Waters is always the redder, IME. I have never seen one that didn't possess fiery red flowers. Scheherazade, on the other hand, produces flowers that are more magenta-y/purpley (which is why I've never been much of a fan of Sheherazade). It is not uncommon for catts -- particularly the reds -- to show a difference in color in saturation depending upon light intensity and temperature during bud development.

Back