What's new

Recirculating = save water?

I plan to create an in-ground bog later this summer.. However, my dad asked me if I wanted it to be recirculating.. I don't see a difference in recirculating and still water; but if it helps me save water, then I'd prefer to go recirculating. What are your thoughts on this?

DSC_0027.jpg

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
A circulating/recirculating bog is less likely to go stagnant on you. The plants will probably do better with the increased oxygen flow to the roots.

Probably not a lot of difference between the two methods, as far as losing water to evaporation..
if anything, I would think a recirculating bog would use slightly more water, because the moving water is in better contact with the air, making better "opportunitys" for evaporation..but I doubt its a significant difference either way..I wouldn't use that as a basis for choosing..

Scot

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Yeah, it won't save you water by any means. It may save you effort in terms of maintenance (cleaning out algae, dealing with mosquito larvae, replacing spoiled media) but if anything it will increase evaporation a little. Still, if your dad wants to help set it up, I think that it will be more than worthwhile, and you'll probably get better growth for your trouble. My understanding is that recirculating bogs are especially beneficial to Darlingtonia culture.
~Joe