What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rainbows in the Midwest

'Might be some outstanding individuals in the group. Good luck!

We tip hats to bluemax for these...
B. lamellata by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And no photos yet, but I've got 4 gigantea also starting to speed up in growth; soon with a little luck I'll have all 3 going well, both species and the hybrids that have obviously been flourishing.

Another hat tip to bluemax; gigantea attempt number two looks a fair bit more successful
B. gigantea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
The Pago Giants are living up to their name; the biggest one has a stem 1/3" thick and at least 2 feet long, if not more
B. filifolia "Pago Giant" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And I finally, FINALLY got two "Hidden Valley" to bloom simultaneously, so I can restore my seed stock of that form!
B. filifolia "Hidden Valley" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Very interesting the pale backing of the flower; Pago doesn't have quite the same look
B. filifolia "Hidden Valley" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Nice work, those 2nd attempt seedlings look healthy.

Thanks for the shoutout, Hawken. I really like the two-tone flower on your B. filifolia "Hidden Valley".

B. lamellata in the afternoon sun
The biggest one on the right is also sending up flower buds! I hope the other one follows suit soon so that I may cross them and start making seeds

And on the topic of seeds: I have just gotten in a bunch of new Byblis seeds (including the last species I need to grow, pilbarana!), and while I don't have the space to grow them all at once I will be starting up some brand new localities etc. that are still really rare in the US, and hopefully a good seedbank will follow!

Hoping flowers aren't too far behind...
Also getting offshoots from some of the hybrids...I've removed and it looks like successfully reestablished two of them
B. lamellata x gigantea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Need flowers again though; I need to build up another seed stock
And lastly, exciting but irritating: first flower from lamellata, but the 2nd plant is not yet blooming...

Very nice!

The perennials like to send up root offshoots rather frequently after the first couple years...and they root quite easily when removed (as long as they stay wet and humid). I even have an extra already...

I have my first B. gigantea flower!
Unfortunately as seems standard anymore...only one plant of the 4 has deigned to bloom currently. I've collected pollen, but waiting on another to flower so I can make pure seeds...

Back