What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain arrrgghh

After last nights storm most of my lilys have been knocked over (not damaged just knocked down). So I've staked most so far this morning and gotta run out to get more bamboo stakes before tonights storm hits.
I'm wondering if any of you have a bunch of lilies and what you do to keep 'em vertical over the summer? Is a stakeless lily collection imposible outside of a greenhouse?

Be glad for the rain. Although we have had SOME rain recently, its not nearly enough. Its dry, dry, dry. I'm reduced to using hose water on the Sarracenia. It will have to do until we get some good soaking rain to leech the pots and fill my water buckets.
confused.gif
I've got four gallons of rain water from the last storm and that will have to hold the indoor plants for a while.

Its too bad you can't pass things like sun and rain around to the places that need it.

Be glad that bamboo stakes are the price you pay for RAIN.
smile.gif

never had a problem with mine..................short of a dog or something tearing through them they remain verticle throughout the summer, be it tigers, orientals or asiatics. even the "wild lillies" i have that get close to 3.5 feet tall before blooming are fine and we get some REALLY strong winds in the summer

What kind of soil do you have Josh? If you have a dense, clay soil, those lilies might be pretty shallow rooted and have a pretty poor foundation for such a tall plant. It'll be even worse if you keep them well-watered & fertilized, since their roots would have even less incentive to go deep looking for food & drink.

dence clay soil works just fine for lillies, course im also planting the bulbs 6 inches or so under so they dont winter kill but after awhile new off shoots form and some new bulbs for closer to the surface. most of the lillies ive worked with have fairly stout roots that dont have much problem forming a good root system in the high clay soil we have.

ive never ran into a problem with lillies falling over, although we've got high winds whats this "rain" thing you speak of?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

They're a bulk bulb mix of LA hybrids and Asiatics in a big 3 ft wooden tub the bulbs were planted about 6-8" deep in a mix of cypress mulch perlite and some peat. It's a very puffy soil, maybe not heavy enough? They didn't come up and out just swept over We had horizontal rain last Friday night not sure what the wind speed was. The funny thing is the other lilys in that area (pink & orange tigers, L. regale) are the tallest and still in small gallon pots and didn't tip at all.

I water my stuff outside with my RO water just like my housplants (cos most of em are outside anyway) so I can live W/O torrential rains, light rains are cool!
smile.gif

yeah sounds like some heavier soil might help yah out good luck

Back