What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raccoon Deterrent

Plant Planter

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever
Yes, yes, I know. It's a really weird request. :blush:

But I really need some help with this. The local raccoons have been driving me MAD lately. :cuss: Normally I wouldn't mind having them around since all they really do is eat a bit of my cats' dry food, but one of my cats just delivered a litter of 3 kittens and I don't want them harmed. Just tonight the mother had to fend off two raccoons that were--I'm not kidding--about a foot away from where she and her kittens were resting. I know for a fact that raccoons are omnivorous. I don't want to have any of the kittens, erm, EATEN. Do any of you have issues with raccoons, and if so, do you have any sort of way of keeping them out? Right now my strategy is to just charge at them with a seven-iron golf club.

Also, don't tell me to just get a fence. I know that. I already have a seven-foot-tall one.

Last edited:
Since you have a fence you don't need to worry about the dog you should have running away.

Since you have a fence you don't need to worry about the dog you should have running away.

I'm supposing that you mean I should get a dog.

Best raccoon deterrent there is.

Wolverine

We use Eviction Fluid. It's urine from a male raccoon in breeding mode. Works great.

I use coyote urine plus the flayed skin of a former raccoon to send a message.

I can't tell for sure, but I feel as though some people are not taking this thread seriously. However I want to state that my response was serious. Hope you can get things under control. Good Luck. :)

I can't tell for sure, but I feel as though some people are not taking this thread seriously. However I want to state that my response was serious. Hope you can get things under control. Good Luck. :)

Interestingly enough, the raccoons have stopped visiting...at least for now. I didn't mention that another strategy of mine is to use my good ol' raccoon trap and just relocate them when I catch them. As far as I know, raccoons do not have the same amazing tracking senses that, say, cats do.

I wouldn't bother with tracking and relocation risks, raccoons have high instances of diseases like rabies.

Interestingly enough, the raccoons have stopped visiting...at least for now. I didn't mention that another strategy of mine is to use my good ol' raccoon trap and just relocate them when I catch them. As far as I know, raccoons do not have the same amazing tracking senses that, say, cats do.

Very cool, good work!

Check your state laws before relocating a raccoon. It's illegal to do so here. Any trapped animals have to be euthanized or released back onto the property where they were captured.

think you can change euthanized to kill,more appropriate ,as the animal i am sure would not thank you for it:)

think you can change euthanized to kill,more appropriate ,as the animal i am sure would not thank you for it:)
Depends upon the method of dispatch whether euthanized fits. Raccoons are smart critters, but I must concur that they won't thank you. They tend to be short on manners.

Depends upon the method of dispatch whether euthanized fits. Raccoons are smart critters, but I must concur that they won't thank you. They tend to be short on manners.
not really,its a mercy killing of an animal thats suffering or in pain,pest control and slaughter houses are not mercy killings even if done in a humane way,unless i have misunderstood

Last edited:
The carnage never ends!!!!! :mad:

I do have one thing to thank the raccoons for, and that's for dividing one of my flytraps for me, which I probably wouldn't have had the guts to do myself.

...But even though I just potted it today, THEY RIPPED IT OUT AGAIN!

Anyways, I need to change the topic here. Now I don't need a raccoon repellant, I need a raccoon EVICTER. They are LIVING in my yard now, so how should I get them out?

Use the repellant, they will evict themselves.
Get the urine.

Back