What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Question

I had a pot of spatulata bloom and I forgot to take off the scapes, which turned out to be rather a fortunate event as I had some fun trying to get a half decent pic of them with my crappy camera. *Anyways my question is this.

spatulatamutantflower.sized.jpg

You see this flower? It has like 8-9 petals. *That's not normal is it? *Don't most flowers have 5, like these?

spatulataflower1.sized.jpg

Couldn't quite get a good macro, sorry for the blurriness :p

Last edited:
I didn't make the cut for expert, but it looks unusual to me.

Is it just me, or does it have more stamen as well?

are all the flowers on that plant like that?

Nope, haven't been checking them, but they were all from the same scape, so some 5 petaled and at least one (who knows maybe I missed some more?) 9 petalers!

Very interesting photos, and I believe you get in the Guiness Book for the most petals on D. spatulata flowers. Yes, this is highly unusual, I have seen six petals but never this many. It would be interesting to see what comes from the seed of this plant. Occasional abberant flowers can be considered normal but if this trait holds true in sucessive generations you might have a mutant.

Back