What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

quick easy question

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hey there
smile.gif

My vfts are starting to put up thier flower stalks and I was wondering is there a perfect time to cut them down or should I get to it right now? They are only up maybe a half an inch at the moment.
Hack them down now...right?

If you don't want your plant to flower, cut it as soon as you realize it is a flower.

That way you can save the energy for the plant.

( The quick and easy answer :smile: )

Thanks Jaie
smile.gif

I knew that answer! but I just wanted to make sure.

Unless you want to cross-pollinate it with another flytrap in flower, ditto to Jaie's answer.
If any of you really want some Dionaea seed to germinate, just look for it online. I got some from the ICPS Seedbank and it germinated readily and the miniscule seedlings are fascinating. Also, some people like to *completely* grow their plants, from the VERY beginning. I'd really rather buy a mature VFT from PFT!
Chris

Well Said DE!!!

(Edited by RamPuppy at 11:24 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

nah they've been chopped down
smile.gif
I am not into VFT seeds #### its easier to just buy them here and save myself some stress
smile.gif

I have a flytrap seedling and I love it... But I wouldn't even begin to try and germinate them myself- I've heard nothing but horror stories.
smile.gif

Pat

My experience with germinating them isn't even a romantic comedy!
smile.gif

They only took a couple weeks to sprout, but they're very slow growing. Not all of them sprouted, but I was afraid none would!
My setup:
I used a 15 cm full-size pot with some sphagnum covering the drainage holes in the bottom, the main mix was about a 60:40 peat/sand with a small amount of charcoal added (I'm a charcoal freak), and topped with some very finely chopped long fiber sphagnum. I kept them at about 75F and 100% humidity until they started to sprout. Unfortunately, they'll take an unbearably long time to reach the sort of maturity you'd see in a PFT VFT.
Chris

Back