What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question re: My 2 New Orchids

Radagast

NECPS Editor
Hi Everyone,

I don't have any pics yet but I attended an Orchid show today and picked up 2 new orchids. I've been interested in Orchids for a while, but up until today I've only ever had Phaelenopsis varieties. I've tried searching for more information on these varieties but there does not seem to be much info. Here's what I got!

1.) Encyclia Gail Nakagaki x bractescens - Is in a pot with what appears to be solely lava rock. It is a good size and currently flowering. Very fragrant, beautiful small flowers. The person I got it from told me it will likely need to be watered a couple of times a week and need lots of light.
2.) Mystacidium capense - Is still quite small, in a pot with what appears to be generic orchid bark mix. The person I got it from told me it is great as a low-light houseplant and can flourish in conditions similar to Phaelenopsis.

Anybody else have either of these varieties? If so, I'd LOVE it if you would share some cultivation techniques that have worked well for you.

Thanks!

I've only kept Phalaenopsis bellina but that M.capense sounds like a treat to keep if they require the same conditions as moth orchids :D

Back