What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question on new setup for sarrs

I am looking to use 15 inch planters for sarrs and wondering if this setup would work. I am using a planter with a drain drilled in the bottom which will be capped so I can change the water out every so often or right before it rains. The bottom will have a 2-3 inch space with no soil (using PVC for a plastic grid to sit on. On the grid will put plastic). I will also have a tube coming down to fill the pot as well as an overflow about 6 inches from the top. Attached is a picture sort of explaning (hope it works). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pottingidea.jpg

I don't see why it wouldn't. But I would put the drain tube even higher on the pot... maybe 4 inches so the Dionaea still don't have their feet too wet?

It should be fine but seems like additional work to me. I have a number of large pots that don’t have any drainage or space for water in them. I just fill them with peat/perlite and plant. I let them overflow in heavy rains and pour off the extra when it stops. Here’s a photo of one of them (it too is a 15” pot). They have done great in these pots for years.

1002771564x750.jpg

I have kept VFTs and Dews in pots with no drainage also and they have also done great. They basically act as mini bogs.

i agree that that set up would work fine, however, it's a lot of unnecessary work. like Fred said, just a simple, undrained pot will be just fine. I use 6.5 gallon livestock feeders and drill a couple of really small holes (3/16) slightly below the soil level.

Thanks for the replies. I was just reading that undrained pots caused problems however seeing others use undrained pots I would say that does not seem so. Anyways thanks for the help this forum continues to be very informative.

It sounds too complicated. A simple minibog would work fine

Fred: That's a beautiful array of plants!

What Fred said. Get a large, undrained pot, use a simple 1:1 of peat and perlite and plant. Problem solved!

Phil

looks good!
except I would take out the PVC riser, plastic light grid, tupper ware, fill tube and perlite..
there is no reason to have any of those things..

keep the peat moss and the drain tube, and you will be good to go!

Clipboard01.gif

for a minibog that will be directly exposed to rain (which should be all of them! ;)
I like to put a thin top-dressing of LFS..just because it looks nicer, and it keeps the peat from spashing around
in the rain and making a mess..

and..IMO 6 inches is a bit deep for the drain..I would go with 3 or 4 inches from the surface..
but the exact placement isnt terribly important..

Scot

Last edited:
Back