What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about pygmy Drosera

I was wondering if they self-polinate.Or will I need to help them out?Thanks in advance

Duke

For pigmy sundews the focus is not on producing seeds. Instead, it's the production of gemmae in the fall. That is how they propogate and what we trade with others. Mine flower all summer and so far I haven't seen any plants from germination. But maybe others have.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 16 2006,5:06)]For pigmy sundews the focus is not on producing seeds. Instead, it's the production of gemmae in the fall.
I've been trying to convince mine of that but they insist on forming gemmae whenever they want.

I haven't had any come up from seed (that I know of) in the last 2½ years that I have grown mine. I believe most pygmy sundews are self sterile and since a lot of them are clones of only a few different pygmy dews in cultivation, the chances of finding a plant that isn't a clone of the one you have are low.

Some species that are self-fertile include D. ericksoniae, leucoblasta, pygmaea and various forms of pulchella.

Back