What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quarantine . . .

I received a number of plants late last year from a dealer (and no one on this forum -- really) and had the idle notion of simply isolating them from the other plants for a short time. Little did I realize then, but many of the items in the shipment were infested with aphids and one with aphids and mealy bug. The dealer was not cooperative, by the way . . .

Just being on the obsessive side one morning, kept me from having to treat everything in sight. I now generally keep new arrivals in a vented, domed germination tray until I see some noticeable new growth or, even more importantly, the absense on monstrous pests.

What do others do?

not really worry about it to much, pyrethrins seem to work well and not hurt any CP ive used them on....

the same thing happened to me when getting some potted plants from a big nursery. for me the solution is simple: never buy from them again....and from the others just buy unpotted plants, it's safer...you can't see what is under the soil surface

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the problem I faced last Fall was having to use insecticides on some plants headed into dormancy -- when they already looked like wads of sticks and phyllodia. It is another thing to deal with them at the height of the growing season, when you can tell if any damage has occured. It also took a while to completely eradicate things. I had no choice but to use the nuclear option . . .

the same thing happened to me when getting some potted plants from a big californian nursery. for me the solution is simple: never buy from them again....and from the others just buy unpotted plants, it's safer...you can't see what is under the soil surface

Can you tell us what state this vendor is in? I'd think that mentioning BAD sellers might be okay, but maybe just a hint? It sounds like an Ohio greenhouse I know....

Can you tell us what state this vendor is in? I'd think that mentioning BAD sellers might be okay, but maybe just a hint?

The same rule applies. Negative or positive experiences are not to be discussed.

xvart.

ilbasso, i'm not sure, but I think you can discuss it if you send him a pm.
correct me if i'm wrong, xvart

ilbasso, i'm not sure, but I think you can discuss it if you send him a pm.
correct me if i'm wrong, xvart

You are correct. Now back on the topic of quarantining!

xvart.

It's a good practice to set up some sort of transitional triage. I used to keep new arrivals saturated and covered for a couple days, before opening the lid.

Never had an infestation of critters - just U. subulata and a Drosphyllum!

Back