What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qestion

Hi guys, im sure most of you have seen some of my posts and know me, but im working as an intern for a botanic garden operated by the New England wild flower society and i was wondering if any of you have a good sized Sarracenia rosea ssp. alabamensis that you could generously donate to the garden, so that they can plant it in there bog garden for everyone to see this beatiful, endangered pitcher plant (I have not yet notified my employers that i am appealing to you for this plant) as the garden does not have an endagered pitcher plant species yet. If this is not posssible, then fine, but please do not flame me for pages and pages.

Thank You all for your help.

Jonathan William Mungeam
Horticulture Retail Intern.

i believe your talking about S. rubra ssp alabamensis :D
Alex

ya, sry, i often get rubra and rosea mixed up, thanks for the correction

Anyone? Please its for a good cause.

I don't have one to give, but the ICPS had seed last time I checked.

Hey it's a start :)

I have some sprouts from ICPS seeds, but typically you want 4-6 true leaves before transplanting seedlings so it will be a while, like the end of the growing season - oct-nov.

I have some sprouts from ICPS seeds, but typically you want 4-6 true leaves before transplanting seedlings so it will be a while, like the end of the growing season - oct-nov.

wow... mine must just grow really fast. i have mixed hybrids started last december on their 10th pitcher. my Flava have 5-6 .
Alex

Mine are 25 days old and starting their second pitcher. I'm just being conservative and making a wild guess based on the seedling I have from last year which only now is putting out it's 12th pitcher, however the last 3 are no longer protopitchers that look like S. minor. Those still haven't opened yet. Those keep growing, one has reached 2 inches already

hmmmm, i suppose if nobody has an adult plant i might have to go with the seed route, i was going to already, but i figured id check here just incase.

lol, see if help anybody on this server.

So you won't be helping me either, then? Darn, I was just about to start pestering you for a spare Cephalotus...lol

I have to say that that seems a rather immature attitude to take. Have you ever considered the possibility that no one is actually able to help?? For example, I have 4 different clones of alabamensis but I have already given away all the spare material I had of them. So obviously I did not bother contacting you. At this time of year most Sarr division have been done and as such most people with spare material have gotten rid of it.

And might I also be so bold as to suggest a little patience. 10 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I have spent, quite literally, years in search of a plant before. Do not expect instant gratification and you will go farther in life

Travis is right. The lack of response may have more to do with the fact that no one HAS a spare plant than the fact that no one wants to help out. The people on this forum are VERY generous and give away a lot of material.

I don't think comments like that will win you any offers.

Travis is right. The lack of response may have more to do with the fact that no one HAS a spare plant than the fact that no one wants to help out. The people on this forum are VERY generous and give away a lot of material.
I'll present a slightly different opinion (not that Terra folks aren't generous - they are!!) :D

There are at least a few people** who draw analogies with the care/diligence taken to post a request for plant(s) with the care that will be provided for the plants once they arrive in the hands of the recipient. In simpler terms, if someone doesn't care enough to get the name of the plant correct or correctly spell the words in the post (or title of the post!), how does one expect them to provide the correct care and conditions for a plant (especially a rare plant) once it arrives in their hands?

** ... and yes, if there were any doubts, I am one of those people .... :headwall:

Back