What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy Drosera temperature question

Hello. I'm a little confused about the temperature requirements of pygmy drosera. I've read that they usually grow during winter, but I've also heard that they can do 20-25C year round. If I was to sow gemmae and seeds, would it be best for me to plant them in typical 20-25C temperatures, or can I put them with my highland terrarium that ranges 12-22C?

Also, would plastic drinking bottles make good pots? I've read that they like them tall, but the bottles aren't made to be planted in, so I don't how they will do long term. I was thinking normal 500ml bottles, but they look kinda narrow.

Thanks!

I've had decent success in highland conditions with only 4 inch pots, but I can't say it's been perfect. D. sargentii has given me some trouble in these conditions, but there's no telling what the problem variable(s) might be. Anyway, maybe mark.ca will chime in. He knows his pygmies pretty well.

Jason

i grow my pygmies in Ultrahighland-highland conditions here in Washington state in a greenhouse.
They seem to do perfectly fine, are flowering and growing like mad even....
I hear warmer conditions are better, but by no means the only way to grow em.

Hey Z!
They do grow during winter and you can grow them in either setup you have but the results will vary. As for the gemmae...the same thing. I germinate them with the mother plants in my climate...with temps form 0 to 15C during winter, also indoor in a more warmer setup (much like your neps highland setup) under lights and also in a even warmer setup. The results vary depending on the specie but gemerally growing them in cold will make them grow much slower then in warm conditions. If you can give them 15-25C to germinate with strong indirect light they will be just fine. The warmer the less problems you will have with mold...which can be a big issue. You need to keep high humidity for the first few weeks but after that you need to ventilate in order to prevent the mold from growing and killing your plants. Try to get some solid plastic pots 3-5" deep so you can pick them up without disturbing the soil.

Jason, your plants may be just old...mine most die in the 2end or 3rd year of life. Other thing to consider is where you grow them. I do have some the greenhouse and some outside in the heat. Not even one died outside but about 20% of the inside ones did....They all can take a lot of heat but compared to others this one seems to like it! Next season try on pot outside and see the difference for yourself...light intensity is something to consider too.

There's a pinned topic for the sundew forum that outlines a year in the life of a pygmy sundew. The author is Tamlin Dawnstar. It's worth checking out.

Thanks for the help guys! I have planted them in my highland terrarium as it has more room then my typical one.

Back