What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problems with gophers in a bog

I am wanting to start on a bog this year. I am planning to but down visqueen as a liner. But my concerns are gophers tunneling through the liner. Living in oklahoma, gophers are a gaurntee in the yard. I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with gophers getting into their bog liners? Thanks for your time

monkey_Cup

Your best option for a bog where burrowing rodents are a concern would be to use a preformed pvc pond. You can usually get them very cheap this time of year from garden centers, nurseries or the big hardware/home improvement stores. Another option, if for some reason you need to use a flexible liner would be to first line the hole with stainless steel hardware cloth then place a layer of old carpet remnants between the stainless steel and the liner to prevent punctures. Avoid using the galvanized hardware cloth, it only holds up for about 2 years underground and is weak enough for a determined rodent to penetrate. I would aslo not recommend using visqeen for this. It is not a very durable product and will not hold up long term.

Last edited:
My cat got one this summer. Last time I saw one was in " Caddyshack". She gets assorted rodents all the time but most are smaller and she often eats them. Then there are the rabbits she eats half of. With the beast in the backyard and the Princess on patrol we`re pretty much vermin free.

Hey thanks for the helpfull info, but i was wondering if you had some recomendations for flexable liner, since visqueen wont hold up. Thanks everyone for the info.

No problem. We expect to see photos of the end product !

Still in the layout process, but once it gets underway I will be glad to put up pictures

You might benefit from a bog I did last year. I call it patchwork bog. It consists of different mortar tubs, a plastic pond and some pieces of pool liner. Spaces in between are filled with lime free gravel to keep out gophers and such.
I show the making of in a German forum with a lot of pictures. http://forum.carnivoren.org/index.p...beet-erweiterbares-moorbeet-im-baukastenstil/
Other materials used are coconut fibre mats, dead wood, ceramic parts and so on.
To keep different water level I punctured the mortar tubs at some level to drain it somewhat.
That’s the way it looked this summer. You don’t see any plastic, apart from the net which I had to set up in the end. My ideas to avoid it did not work.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Axel that is really cool, thanks for sharing. Thats a great looking bog you have there.

Back