What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problemas com sphagnum

Friends, my germination I do in sphagnum substrate. This generates a lot of cyanobacteria (gelatinous above), I reside in high humidity location.
What is the common substrate q you use for germination, with good results in germination and fewer problems? ???

I've heard that thorough washing of the sphagnum, before seed sowing, can help eliminate cyanobacteria growth.

Mentioned on the ICPS site:

Many growers wash their peat to remove nutrients to reduce problems with moss, cyanobacteria, liverworts, ferns and other organisms found naturally in peat. Washing may also help get rid of spores in the peat. The trade off here is many carnivores appreciate the nutrients in the straight peat but the moss and cyanobacteria in unwashed peat can overgrow seedlings.

Are you using sphagnum peat moss, long fibered dry sphagnum, or live sphagnum?

One option is to moisten and then microwave your peat before use. The heat should kill a lot of the spores laying dormant in the media.

I have a habit to wash and after boiling it for about 4/5 minutes.
We live in the coastal area, a lot of moisture. That which makes a lot of things for me when in seasons of 10 or 15 days without sun, only rain.

Addition, use red dry common sphagnum peat not q in Brazil is high cost ($$). Only green sphagnum pots in 3 utriculárias I leave at the top (above 20%) but these already formed on live buds.
I think friends, that due to high humidity, when it does rain followed, for me there is no way around it.

Outside, with rain, it'll be hard to keep algae away, because it can be brought in with the falling rain, but otherwise, dampening and microwaving your peat until it is very hot, definitely helps keep any unwanted growth suppressed, for a while at least.

Last edited:
You could consider changing your medium composition to improve drainage. That would be my first option.

Você poderia pensar em mudar a sua composição do meio para melhorar a drenagem. Isso seria minha primeira opção.

I appreciate all the help. I use sphagnum 50% and 50% coarse sand, over a thin top layer of sand to be avoided. but with pq's vessels and more so in smaller germination, then there is the problem. I imagined you use another substrate for germination that did not happen so. much appreciate the good will of everyone who helped me, grateful.

Back