What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prepping for winter

Well this is my first summer growing CP. Started with a VFT, now I have a Cephalotus on the way and a fresh Sarracenia that I just bought. For the winter, I will for sure need to have the pitchers brought inside as the deep winters will be too cold here in PA. I also need to be able to simulate a dormancy period for them. Well my plan is going to begin with an old 5 gallon fish tank that is collecting dust in my parents garage. The basement is cool in the winter and the dehumidifier lets me control the %. So what I really need is just to figure out the right lighting for dormancy. I'm thinking that 2 CFL bulbs will do the trick as they are only 2 small and young plants. I am not trying to do any real growing, mainly just make them survive the winter indoors. i'm considering getting either 2 6500k or 5000k, will this get me where I need to be?

I'm new to this and have been reading everything I can. My understanding is that if I set the lights for the proper shorter photoperiods during the day, I should be able to trigger and simulate a dormancy for the plants.

Really? I live in the SE part of the state and my VFTs and Sarrs survived the l last two winters in unprotected, above ground half barrels. Cephs are a different matter. Where exactly in the state do you live?

York. Cephs are the main thing I'm worried about. Sarrs probably will survive outside. So I guess its really the cephs that I am worried about.

No probably about it. As far as figuring out the "right lighting for dormancy", photoperiod is far more important than whether the light spectrum is 5000K or 6500K. I keep a lot of plants that require dormancies at different time of the year. All my indoor lighting is synched to our local photoperiod. Right now my indoor lights are on anywhere from 14-16 hours depending on whether the plants are tropical (14) or subtropical (16). Cephs are subtropical. Sometime next month I'll cut that back to 13-14 hours. In the middle of September, around the time of the equinox I'll cut them down to 12. Around Halloween that will go down to 10 until March when it goes back up to 12. Temperature plays a less important role in dormancy, but I do keep my subtropicals in an unheated room of my house where temps rarely get out of the lower 60s and drop into the 50s or even 40s at night. You might want to run a search on this site for the term "Cephcicle"

Last edited:
Back