What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible pest?

Having been in SE Asia for 4 months (I'm sure my lack of activity on here wasn't noticed!) I returned home to my N. Maxima thriving tremendously on a windowsill, having been looked after by my parents. It has made a strong vine with some gorgeous uppers on it, and a number of new lower growth points. However, it has been covered in these small insects for about a year. Up until I left I was treating it with rubbing alcohol, though that stopped for the 4 months I was away. Basically the pests don't seem to be doing any harm! Unless one of you guys can identify these little bugs as a pest I think I'm going to adopt an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach!

Thanks for any advice

I think the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach works well here. Does your plant look like its health has deteriorated in any way? If not, the bug probably isn't a pest.

Thanks for the links, they're very informative. It seems that they are Franklinothrips, judging by the red larvae I have found on closer inspection. They are sold around Europe as a biological thrips prevention/curing agent so it looks like I'll be able to get used to them living on my bedroom windowsill.

hi Tom,hope you enjoyed SE asia and i look forward to seeing an update on your plants

Back