What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poly. lindenii

glider14

Always a newbie
i got the legendary Ghost orchid from a local orchid show. well it aint doin so hot. its outside now shaded by my nep. its rely hot and humid outside 24/7 in the summer. what kind of ways could i successfully grow it inside when winter comes around?
Alex

well its not growing at all... only one root has grown and nothing else...no new roots no nothing.
Alex

smile_k_ani_32.gif

anyone? its doing worse now. the tips of the roots(and a little farther down) are fine and green the rest down to the growth point is shrivly and brown. any suggestions? how would some good fertilizer work?
Alex

I wouldn't fertilize a stressed orchid. If the root growth point looks good, the rest of the plant probably isn't doing too badly. And maybe they're supposed to look like that.

i dono Bruce. one day it was good...everything was green. when i looked at it that night it was all shrivled...it sacred me for a second. now one of the roots is starting to look blackish. gawd i hope it isnt rotting!
Alex

The ghost orchids need to be in HIGH humidity. I know people that grow them on a piece of stainless steal mesh, and then take a milk jug and cut a window of sorts in it then hang the orchid in there with water standing below it. Do not have it in the water. The jug helps it maintain high humidity. If you have a tererrium with high humidity thats even better. Good light,m but not full sun. They grow in the swamps of Fla normaly hanging over thw water where humidity is high. Thats all I can give you as I haven;t even tried to grow one yet. Thats just from reading on another site.

Bleh... its gone. its a pity i didnt know this sooner...it was in direct sun for most of the morning. ill put one in my brand new terrarium i got. ill get one at the next orchid show that comes here.
Alex
smile_h_32.gif

Back