What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help my Argentii (again)

I just got a new Argentii!

It was in transit for nearly a month though, and while it IS green, I'm afraid that there's something wrong with it.
IMG_0105.jpg

If you see closely near the bottom of the newest leaf, there is a part unsettlingly close to the growth point that is pale and shiny for some reason. (the shine is not from water)

The plant has been through temps in the 80s for nearly two weeks during the shipping...
Could this be signs of heat stress?
If not, please tell me.

I really DO NOT want to go through the process of importing again.
I swear it'll make me die before 30...

While I'm nobody's idea of a Nepenthes pro, I'd say the little plant looks a bit roughed-up but o.k. overall. It is often a somewhat tense time when we begin with new plants and are trying to find out exactly what they want. I wish you success.

While I'm nobody's idea of a Nepenthes pro, I'd say the little plant looks a bit roughed-up but o.k. overall. It is often a somewhat tense time when we begin with new plants and are trying to find out exactly what they want. I wish you success.
Thanks!

The reason I posted this was because when I posted this picture in my country's cp forum, one of the staff members who runs this big nepenthes greenhouse/shop told me that the growth point was either dead or dying.

Normally, I wouldn't worry about this too much because nepenthes can easily pop out a new growth point.
But in my case, the majority of the plant is woody, so there are hardly any "easy dormant nodes" left.

Maybe she's mistaken, but I want to make sure if it's dying or not so that I can either acclimate it or keep it humid.

Bag it up (or put it in some other kind of humid environment) in appropriate temperatures and let it settle in. Higher temperature for a couple of days isn't going to hurt them. My N. lowii has accidentally gotten above 100f a couple of times and didn't even notice it. They're tougher than you'd expect.

This one is freshly imported, and probably hasn't been out of TC for long. It just takes time for it to adjust.

Thanks for the advice!

I've been keeping it in high humidity (~99%) and intermediate-highland temps ever since I got it, and I will keep it that way for about 10 more days until I see growth, which would mean the plant is okay(hopefully).

And about the pale growth point, it definitely isn't a normal nor healthy coloring... Have you seen this before in your nepenthes? Will it go away as it recovers?
It doesn't seem to be spreading but it isn't going away either...

What’s your media composition. Argentii is one of those neps that does better in a non-organic mix

What’s your media composition. Argentii is one of those neps that does better in a non-organic mix
Could you tell me non-organic mixes preferable to this plant?

I currently have it potted in a media that's roughly 4:1:1 lfs, perlite and black lava rock.

Also, a tendril on the plant that has been through the shipping seems to to be drying out.
But for some reason, the pitcher part of the tendril is turning upright as if its growing...:scratch:

The tendril that was once red has now turned brown. Could the movement of the pitcher be caused by the drying tendril?
IMG_8735.JPG
The argentii on the day I got this plant-notice the red tendril.

IMG_8750.JPG

The plant now- the tendril has browned, but the pitcher turned upright.

Should I cut it off? Or is there a chance for the trap to be growing...?

It looks ok. Just leave it be for a few weeks and it should adjust

Dying tendrils during acclimatization isn't a big suprise. For nepenthes you need to just learn to become comfortable sitting back and letting it play out. Otherwise you'll go grey early

I know this probably wasn't an inexpensive plant, and I've got a few of those that have been touch and go in the past so I know how easy it is to obsess over every small detail, but I've learned the best thing you can do is give it high humidity, good light and temperatures and then let it be for a while. It's a living organism after all, if it has appropriate conditions and there's nothing wrong with it like rot or pests, then it will almost certainly come out fine.

Thanks. I'll try to leave it alone a couple of weeks... (not that I've been messing with it or something)
I'll be sure to post updates:0o:

Could you tell me non-organic mixes preferable to this plant?

I currently have it potted in a media that's roughly 4:1:1 lfs, perlite and black lava rock.
1:1:1 akadama, pumice, and kanuma

Back