What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of Nepenthes Hamata x Platychila

dionae

sarracenia lover
Anyone have any pics of this hybrid? Thank you very much!

I have one about 4" in diameter, don't think I ever photograhed it yet though.... it grows a lot slower than the true N. hamata species.

Here's mine:

Pic was taken 2011.11.20
6373278149_1112dc76cc_b.jpg

Pic was taken today 2011.12.07, same pitcher
6474182779_7b2af80fcd_b.jpg

whole plant:
6474183805_3eedaaf3ba_b.jpg

Small but looking good :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the replies. Just ordered one and was wondering what I could expect.

Rob, yours looks like it might get the hamata "teeth" when it gets older. I hope mine looks similar to that. Any of you know of any more hybrids that might get the same peristome as hamata? I say hybrids because theyre cheaper than the pure species. I know hamata, macrophylla, villosa and edwardsiana get the teeth but do any crosses of the 3 carry the "teeth" trait?

Here's some shots of mine

PA170007.jpg

P9150020.jpg

P9100002.jpg

PB020017.jpg

I don't know of any hamata, hybrids who retain the same toothiness as comparable to the true species.

The very exaggerated teeth on the toothy species (and fangs on bicalcarata) all seem to more or less even out in the primary hybrids with non-toothy species. There are not too many hybrids out there between two toothy species. N harryana (villosa x edwardsiana) does retain it's teeth, so perhaps to retain maximum toothiness it must be a cross between two already toothy species.

N. hamata x edwardsiana or vice versa would probably make an interesting cross.

Thats beautiful Thez Yo and thank you swords!

Ya I complete agree with Swords. You can get crosses of hamata, but none that will have the teeth that hamata does. Essentially, if you want teeth you'll have to pay for them; kinda like in real life :p.

I've never seen n. harryana for sale anywhere. Villosa is usually cheaper than the rest, around 45 buck CDN, but they're hard to retain and kinda hard to find. Eddies are expensive and same goes for macros.

If you get a cross, you'll get some aspects of the teeth that hamata has, but no where near as extreme.

I also grow burbidgeae x edwardsiana, but from the pictures I've seen it's no where nearly as toothy as an Eddie. Mine is still too small to tell how it'll look when it's larger.

Your plant looks sweet Rob!

Thanks again Rob. Looks like i'm going to have to dish out some dough because I want those teeth:D.

No worries, glad I could help :). In case you're curious here's the burb x eddie

6296051977_dfda37f1f4_b.jpg

Thanks for the kudos on my nep :awesome:

Also make sure you can supply the plant with the climate it needs. You dont want it to die after dishing out all that cash for it.

I've never seen n. harryana for sale anywhere.

Yeah, neither have I, it's just the only example I could think of that's a cross between two teeth-bearing species.

Essentially, if you want teeth you'll have to pay for them; kinda like in real life
LOL I can afford the toothy Neps, teeth for ME however... too much $$$ :D

Thats a beautiful hybrid Rob. I'll bet she looks gorgeous when shes mature.

Here's mine. Photo was taken back then in July, the plant isn't doing well now when a basal sapped it's energy.

014.jpg

For me, it seems that when the plant is stressed or weakened, the peristome doesn't darken up into it's dark red colour, remaining a normal green throughout. It seems to prefer intermediate conditions, it's growing faster than my veitchii x platychila. ???

That looks great Edward! You all have me excited about getting mine:).

LOL I can afford the toothy Neps, teeth for ME however... too much $$$ :D

HAHAH, for me it's the opposite. gotta love having work benefits :awesome:. if only it covered nepenthes too :p

Does anyone own a N. diatas? if so, can you post pics?

What environments are you all keeping your hamata hybrids in? Temp, humidity?

Back