What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photo thief?

Anyone know who this photo thief is? Using my Cephalotus photo without permission...
cephalotus2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't try contacting them? It says the website owner is Robert Crespo, under the "Contact Us" part of the webpage.

I did and got a curt, ambiguous reply, with no reply to further emails...

How curt and ambiguous? Did he deny it?

registrant-firstname: Robert
registrant-lastname: Crespo
registrant-organization: RC Enterprises
registrant-street1: 1102 East 31st Street
registrant-street2: Apt D3
registrant-pcode: 11210
registrant-state: NY
registrant-city: Brooklyn
registrant-ccode: US
registrant-phone: +1.3473122130
registrant-email: crespo72@optonline.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Igrow, it is bad form to post personal information, including name, address, and telephone number, without permission... though telephone might be helpful here.

It's also bad form to steal photos, so I don't have much sympathy for him.

I've removed the URL to the store, sorry... Hopefully the information already listed is helpful. Or someone recognizes the photo... but by the rules vendor urls cannot be listed.

Andrew

I had the same problem a few years ago.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98062

That is why I place a copyright symbol and my name over part of my pictures now.

I'm not sure who you would go to, to take the problem further if they do not remove the picture. I was lucky and after I found my pics being used and emailed them about it, the pictures were removed quickly.

Igrow, it is bad form to post personal information, including name, address, and telephone number, without permission... though telephone might be helpful here.

While this is generally true, as the owner of a sever or domain name, all of this information is public. If it were a private entity (eg a member of the forum here or something) then that would be one thing, but as the owner of a business and web site the information is designed to be public, or at least accessible to the public.

Thanks EST, public info is just that, public..
You can't get online and do anything you want to do and hide behind your monitor anonymously. Thats exactly the thought process that makes people think they can hi-jack other peoples property and get by with it.

I own quite a few websites that host my photos and would feel much the same if I found someone profiteering from my images without permission.
I have been approached for permissions in the past, some I have approved others I have denied. What Mr. Crespo has chosen to use Gardenofeden image for is something I would have denied if not offered compensation. Cespo is attempting to make money with this photo without the approval of the owner, there are laws that keep him from doing this. ANY photo you post online is automatically copyright protected. I have my doubts that it would take more than a few minutes to locate a few photos online, send a few e-mails and do this legally. It might have cost him nothing more than adding owner credits to the photo, or maybe send him a plant, who knows.

This guy has shown dishonesty from the get go, I wouldn't do business with him as a result of his actions. I mean, just how many CP's is he raising in apt. D3 in Brooklyn? Obviously not enough to even have one to snap a photo of............

How curt and ambiguous? Did he deny it?

no, just something like "what's fair?"
what does that mean, an offer of negotiation or a comment on life?

no apology, no admission, no further replies to emails

No, its not bad at all, if its public information, which it clearly is.
its perfectly legal and moral. No one needs your permission to look up your name, address and phone number and post it on the internet! ;)
its "public" info in the phone book, and its the same on the internet.

and the info Igrow posted was already on the internet, he just moved it to another location on the internet by posting it in this thread..that's 100% legit.

Scot

I've removed the URL to the store, sorry... Hopefully the information already listed is helpful. Or someone recognizes the photo... but by the rules vendor urls cannot be listed.

Andrew

If anyone is interested, you can find the URL yourself by right-clicking on the photo at the beginning of this thread and choosing "properties"..
then copy and paste the URL of the photo,
then backspace until you have just the webpage address - www dot name dot com.

most of us could probably figure that out, but just in case, thought I would help.

Scot

Well his punctuation in unprofessional on his site (saw many errors) AND he allows advertising for The Fly Trap Farm who is known to field collect their flytraps and most likely the other plants native to their area. Anyone who runs ads for FTF is a bad bone in my book.

It looks like that is a Google ad feed. If it is then FTF could potentially show up as Google ad here.

BTW there is a copyright marked on the photo. I don't recall that being there yesterday.

Well his punctuation in unprofessional on his site (saw many errors) AND he allows advertising for The Fly Trap Farm who is known to field collect their flytraps and most likely the other plants native to their area. Anyone who runs ads for FTF is a bad bone in my book.

ROFL. I was checking out their website and this is what it says at the top of their page (in all caps).

"Save the habitat! Industries and construction are destroying the delicate bogs and wetlands where carnivorous plants grow. Click here for information how to stop this!"

Lol, I guess they want to harvest all the plants and destroy the habitat first. It's pretty hypocritical of them, if they in fact field harvest.

this guy has now come up with the goods by complying with my request re copyright so due credit to him, case closed

Just the fact that they can't manage to take a pic of one of their own plants doesn't inspire confidence ...

It looks like that is a Google ad feed. If it is then FTF could potentially show up as Google ad here.

NEGATIVE. As the one hosting google ads, you have the ability to filter out ads by anyone you want... that vendor is already on my block list... Has been since the 3rd week or so of setting up the advertising.

Andrew

Back