What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petition =]

There wouldnt be a bang in the electricity bill with a small light and heat rock for the reptile. Do you have any experience with pets? Are you responsible? Do you help your mother and make her feel that you are deserving of this? Are you ready for a pet?
Take that into consideration when asking her for permission. You might try to show that this would be a great learning experience and teach you responsibility. Find a reptile that isnt too needy, doesnt get large, doesnt stink, and doesnt cost too much. Price could be a concern so try to keep that to a minimum. We dont know the exact reasons that your mother is hesitant, but keep her feelings and concerns in mind as you convince her and prove to her that you are deserving and ready. When I lived with my mom, begging did not work... at all. I had to keep my cool and discuss things with her like an adult, as well as prove to her that I was prepared and deserving.
Good luck bro

I pay my own electricity and have noticed a very minimal difference in my bill from the months with and without my gecko here. I only use an under tank heater and it works quite well and doesn't use too much power. I would say if you want to bet a ground dwelling reptile the under tank heater is the way to go as heat rocks can develop hot spots and cause burns.

I think you need to sit down and have a rational discussion with your mother with out getting upset or angry about her decision and just see what happens. Listen to her objections and try to use reason to deal with them.

I never owned a gecko before only reptiles I have was snakes and when I was young I'd catch a anole lizard and keep it and feed it in a 10gal terrerium and let it go a few days after was fun watching them catch dragonflies and crickets..

Easy snake would be a corn snake those are the only one I've kept so far and they've been very nice they never bite I kept three over my lifetime and out of the three only one has been pretty shy she would try to get away, but now after working with her I can hold her..

Though keeping snake means you have to feed them mice still snakes are fun to take care of and they usually cost around $14 or $24 or so I haven't really checked when I buy mice and you can always go to reptile shows to buy one too also if you were to get a gecko or a snake make sure you read up on alot of books and information online for cornsnake info I recommend Kathy Loves books.

I agree I rather use under the tank heater too I never used rock heaters, but I heard you can have problems with them also another time for any pet snake make sure it has a warm side and a cool side, a couple of hideouts so the snake will feel safe and clean water. =)

I don't know why your mom doesn't want you to have a pet reptile could be she's afraid of them or something like that I guess you could ask her why, but don't beg for one or argue that'll just get you in trouble there must be a reason I guess for the time being you could go to the library and see if they have any books on the pet you would like and read up on it..

I was lucky my mom liked any animal so she allowed me to buy a snake for my christmas gift year after that I bought my two other corns on the way home..

well i've got her to the point that if i pass my exam's and keep my room tidy for a few week's she'll re-consider it :D

Great! That's a start :)

Back