What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pesten 2013 - what are these?

And it almost goes without saying; if this has been an ongoing problem for a while, you can be pretty certain that is not the only plant that has scale on it now. (Unless it is isolated)

It looks like the wretched snow scale I had. I used systemics but I don't know if the scale actually died -- it's hard to tell dead scale from living scale. The stress triggered the plant to produce a basal so I immediately cut the main plant off and started clean. Luckily I haven't seen them since.

And it almost goes without saying; if this has been an ongoing problem for a while, you can be pretty certain that is not the only plant that has scale on it now. (Unless it is isolated)

100% agree. Hibiscus/snow scale came in on a truncata and I didn't act fast enough. Now its practically impossible to eradicate. If I were you I would act fast so you won't have to deal with a larger infestation further down the road. On a side note, periodic spraying with neem keeps their numbers low enough enough that they don't seem bother the plants. Pretty soon I'm going to have to switch to a systematic and eradicate them for good.

What systemic is good for killing these guys and still safe for Nepenthes? What brand & product name?

Thanks kula, there is a nursery on my route to the Flea Market so I'll stop in and see if they have it.

The University of Florida document (last link in my post) lists various chemical and biological controls including brand names.

I got the one Kula showed, has the two top ingredients from the list on the site NAN linked for dealing with these critters. We shall see! I wiped everything down with IPA and rinsed them off and repotted in new media and will dose the plant with the Bayer Advanced Rose & Flower Insect Killer as soon as the plant is dry. Says it's good for 30 days per treatment, will I actually need to treat again sooner than that?

Check what the average life cycle is on these critters. The insecticide has a contact pesticide which is useless while the scale are in their armored phase. You want to time it to hit them in the crawler phase. This might take several repeat sprayings.

Back