What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pest? ID?

Help!

I bought a nepenthes. Can someone tell me the ID?

SAM_2837 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2839 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2840 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2841 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2844 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2842 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2845 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

Is this a upper pitcher??

SAM_2843 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2848 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr
What are those black spots on the leaves? Is that pest?

SAM_2853 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2852 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

SAM_2850 by beckhamLOVESplant, on Flickr

Last edited:
The black spots look like thrips damage. Those little things are so ANNOYING! Sadly, I don't know how to get rid of them.

If they are thrips Smyth ng with merit will kill them. I like Bayer advances rose and flower spray. Works great. If they are spider mites its a different story. You would need a miticide. And spraying the leaves too and bottom with water throughout the day helps get rid of mites too. Mites are uncommon in my experience. I've had damage like what I see on some of the leaves before and its nothing to worry about. Its not rampant and new leaves look fine. I don't find many bug on my nepenthes other than ones its feesig on. Mealy bug and scale just don't mess with them much and I have had scale.and mealy bugs in the GH before. But if you are worried there is a fungal, mite and bug control spray at Lowes. Its a three in one. Give it a dose of that and clear your mind. And grow a nep.

Looks like a ventricosa from what I see but I'm no expert by no means.

...Looks like a ventricosa from what I see but I'm no expert by no means.

I agree; possibly Nepenthes x ventrata, which, of course, is the easiest Nepenthes plant to find. I'm surprised that I stumbled upon my Nepenthes fusca, and on eBay, no less!

Ventrata doesn't generally have speckles to my knowledge. None I've seen have had them.

Ventrata doesn't generally have speckles to my knowledge...

I wondered about that too. I think it's actually just a Nepenthes ventricosa.

I heard that my nepenthes is from TC, so is that thrips or spider mites?
What should i do to get rid of them?
Anyway, is that a upper pitcher?

Last edited:
The black dots look like nectar glands to me, not pest damage. Does the black wipe off with alcohol, is there an indent in the leaf where the black spot is, or does the black spot go entirely through the top of the leaf?

Well. It is just a black dot. When i scratch it with my nails , it will just be scratch off. The black spot is at the bottom side of the leaf. It is just 1 dot and 1 dot around the leaves.
I got a few questions:
1) Is the pitcher that i pointed a upper pitcher?
2) Why are the leaves deformed?

black dots might be scale, deformed leaves either mean pests or possibly some nutrient burn or buildup I imagine try flushing the plant real good then sit back and watch of course if you think it also might be pests put the whole pot in water for a hour or so drown everything and anything on it plus it will flush soil see if that helps or it could just be an angry nep who was separated at birth from his or her siblings and now has been in an angry I dont wanna grow right for you stage in that case only dr phil might be able to help. no seriously hope some of that info helps

If the black scratches off, does it look like it could be sooty mold? That could definitely be the result of a leaf sucking pest. The deformed leaf could be a result of burning from a change in lighting, did you put it straight out in sun after you got it? The deformity could also be the result of one of a few leaf sucking pests. Is there any webbing that you can see anywhere? If you think it's pest damage spray it with a systemic, better safe than sorry.

There isnt any webbong. I just check the plant totally. I doesnt seems to have any pest on it.

The damage to the end of the leaves may just be from the shipping squeeze into the box.

Back