What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat Pellets

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
Does anyone use these [peat pellets] successfully? I am trying now, but I am wondering how hight the water in the tray should be? It does not seem that teh pellets are real good at wicking the water up higher than the water level.

How about LFS  for D adelae?

I use only LFS and perlite for D. adelae, D. petiolaris and D. paradoxa. I have not tried peat or peat pellets.
smile.gif

I have found that both D. adelae and paradoxa do well in containers that allow for both horizontal and vertical growth. They both have developed roots systems and will propogate vegetatively. Mine are simply in a mix of sand and peat and what was originally the dried LFS. Now the LFS is alive.

I also have a peltata in live sphagnum. It has done well the past few weeks.

Is nobody doing the pellets?

The peat pellets I am asking about are pictured on page 146 of "Savage Garden" (D. falconeri, 1998 paperback edition). They were originally purchased for a planted aquarium. They seem to provide air as well as acidity and moisture. I have only 3 paradoxa that were recently traded to me (Thanks Ron !
smile_n_32.gif
) but I will continue to try the 3 mediums to attempt to guage results.

Is D'Amato the only other one using these peat pellets successfully?

After 4 weeks both the live sphagnum and the peat pellets seem to be successful. I have kept the water fairly high in the pellets to ensure they absorb moisture. I then let the water evaporate to the bottom.

Remember, D'Amato has a state of the art greenhouse. He could probably plant pennies and harvest quarters. This topic inspires me to try some Utricularia in the pellets though. I believe the species appreciates airy containers, thanks for the idea!

An update (sans pics):
2 parts sand:1 part peat is doing well, has a stem (flower about 3" tall).

peat pellets is doing GREAT, larger with a 6" stem as above

live LFS is doing the least well - it is smaller with fewer leaves and no stem thing

These were all seed grown so this is not very scientific, but it does show how successful the pellets can be. When my camera works again I will post pics.

Back