What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC Video card: "This Device Cannot Start"

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I have an NVIDA GTX8800 Video card and I am getting a message that there is a problem with the device and it cannot start, yet the fan on it is running when I open the case. I have tried reloading the card and the motherboard controllers drivers both to no avail. I'm trying a clean install but the DOS screen is wonky looking too:

pc.jpg

Is my video card fried or why are there these artifacts still all over? There's no rhyme or reason as to what will be bad looking on the screen, but dark colors in graphics are the worst I get purple squiggles all through black.

Is rebooting a waste of time? I've started it already anyway. What originally happened was the PC shut off due to overheating so I blew it out with 20#s of air from my air compressor (not full blast). No cords are disconnected inside.

Any ideas?

Not good as those fonts may be stored in ROM either on the video card or motherboard. 25 years ago when I had to intimate with such things I could have told you the answer.

If you have another video card try install in that one and see what happens.

The fonts in windows are fine but the graphics are all squiggly. DOS is the only place the text is wonky. I finished a clean install and now my old software (that was in it just hours earlier) isn't working either so I think the motherboard must be shot. The PC is 5 years old so I suppose it's time for the death march anyway. I could fix it but it would still be 5 years old overall.

I figured out a nifty work around I can use until I buy a new modern beefcake PC workstation, plug my laptop into my big monitor and my keyboard and mouse into the laptop USB ports for writing, web surfing and photoshop so I'm not missing out on anything but my composing/recording software which I shamefully must admit I don't use as much as I "knew" I would when I bought it... LOL

your supposed to install the drivers (of the new video card) while the old one is still in.

not sure if you did that but that could be your issue.

There is no new anything. Just trying to get the old to work again but I think this time the overheating shutdown on Friday was the last straw. So learn from me and be sure and blow out your case every 90 days or so, I last did it in Dec. but forgot to do it since.

At least plugging my laptop into my mouse, keyboard and 28" monitor gives me the same computing experience as using my desktop - minus my DAW. I hate using laptops, they make my back hurt.

Ouch. 8800GTX's ran very hot. I used to have one before it did the exact same thing. I have then since upgraded to a Radeon HD4870. They're really really cheap these days.

Back