What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Northwesterner's Bornean Lowlander.

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Hey thought it was about time I gave posting pics a shot. I know it's not much but this is my pride and joy, my only Nepenthes that I have at the moment and the first that I have been able to keep alive for a going on three years now. It's had a rough existence living in Alaska, where conditions could easily be ideal for a N. villosa or less, and it's gone through one move to Oregon, where the weather isn't a whole lot better, but with the help of a repotting and a heater, it's been experiencing proper lowland conditions for about five months now. It is in the process of being moved back to AK, so I will work harder to try and get it even warmer, oh yeah, and did I mention... it needs a bigger terrarium?

N. bicalcarata "orange" colored up with a 15 watt energy saver bulb and very little natural light.

P1010289.jpg

My largest pitcher ever produced, and they just keep getting bigger! This is also the deepest shade of orange/red I have seen yet on my plant (pics don't do justice)

P1010290.jpg

Same pitcher. The plant has always held up to about five pitchers for me at a time. but it just decided to let go of all the puny old ones.

P1010292.jpg

This is the plant getting some fresh air. Note the broken bicycle spokes I use to coerce the leaves into not hitting the glass, it doesn't always even work totally.

P1010293.jpg

Finally here is a picture of the poor thing within it's dungeon. My hand to give you a size comparison of what a maturing bical has to live in.

P1010288.jpg

P.S. Check out the schmitzii glands that are forming on the biggest pitcher's vine. This is a new thing for this plant. I would really like to get some of those ants, and see if it improves growth at all, there is probably no realistic way to get them though.

Very nice! My bical is exploding. I got it with a broken growing tip and it suffered for like a month but once I put it into my terrarium above a fish tank heater the thing has turned into a weed! It grew 3-4 growth nodes out of the old broken one and they are racing to be the leader. I cant wait to get little bical pitchers!

Good Luck with the move to AK.
Andrew

hehe, very creative. I never thought of using an old bicycle spoke for a plant-brace. ;)

gorgeous! absolutely beautiful! Id get a 100 gallon if i were you. That way you'll have LOTS of room, at least for the next 6 months. ;)

how come my 15W light doesnt color up my plants :(

Thanks everyone! Yeah I definitely want to upgrade, I'm thinking about moving it into a fifty gallon tank that I have seeing as my sandfish passed away in my absence. :( RIP. It will easily outgrow that too, in short notice. This plant has been growing terribly fast, a pitcher can form and open in about twenty days or so. and the leaves grow like no other. A new leaf can move away from the rosette up to three centimeters each day, it's really exciting watching it grow.

And Halt: The first pitcher was with virtually just the bulb, you can see it isn't very colored. The second pitcher grew on the other side of the plant where it got a lot of indirect sunlight, so it's got great color. When I get back to AK, I'll definitely give this plant a warmer and much brighter place in the house than it had before, even if it's NOT in my room where I can wake up and look at it. :D

Neat little...er, neat bical. :D

Good job with the plant! I'm getting my bical and an amp in just a few days...next friday or saturday actually, waiting for another plant to come in off a preorder

Back