What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora from a leaf pull?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was plucking old, dead leaves from a plant and accidentally pulled a live one from the base. For the lark of it I placed it in media, expecting it to rot with a couple days. A week has gone by and the leaf is still green. So perhaps it may actually produce a new plant, like a Mexican butterwort.

I think all butterworts can reproduce from leaf-cuttings, except for P. villosa and P. lusitanica because the leaves are too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll see what happens. The leaf is still green and I wasn't expecting that.

Exciting!

*stupid post by my brother*

I think P. primuliflora is specifically viable for leaf cuttings. I believe I remember reading that in SG.
~Joe

And to think I've been depending upon plantlets from the leaves all this time. I guess I'll know by December.

And to think I've been depending upon plantlets from the leaves all this time. I guess I'll know by December.

Good luck with it. P. primuliflora still confounds me.
~Joe

I recently plucked a couple leaves from my primuliflora. They both have struck. I thought I lost them, as they were small and turned brown (the tips that are in the LFS are still green and are forming buds). I have also done leaf pullings and placed them in a ziplock bag with moist LFS. The majority of them also struck, those are the plants that I have now. I lost the mother plants awhile go. Good luck Jim! You'll probably have more than you bargained for in no time!

Crystal

Good luck with it Jim! It will definitely be exciting to hear what happens for you.

I wish I could have snagged a couple leaves from my prim. before the mother plant died...now Ill have to wait for the two plantlets to get bigger before I play

Back