What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. Primuliflora care?

Hi so I just found two primuliflora butterworts in this garden center today, they looked liked they needed a home. Right now I have them in a small tupperwear container that is ten inches from a desk lamp. I read online that they like high humitity.

If anyone else has suggestions let me know.

Right now from the look of those plants I would give them 100% humidity until they recover.

Right now from the look of those plants I would give them 100% humidity until they recover.

Okay and how do I achive that without the plants becoming moldy, they are prone to mold yes?

No they are not prone to mold at all as long as they are given proper light levels. Just put another Tupperware on top of them or a layer of saran wrap if the Tupperware is taller than the tops of plants.

No they are not prone to mold at all as long as they are given proper light levels. Just put another Tupperware on top of them or a layer of saran wrap if the Tupperware is taller than the tops of plants.

Okay, I just hope a hour and half drive on monday wont send them into shock.... I'm going to my parents house for winter break.

Wow I've never seen such sad looking butterworts, hopefully you can get them to recover. I'd be careful about how much light you give them as this species prefers lower light levels and will probably burn even easier than normal when stressed like this. It's also a warm temperate species and is expecting cooler temperatures this time of year, though it's probably already confused about seasons after being in the store.

Right now I would worry more about helping them recover from what appears to be acclimation shock, than worry about winter dormancy, and they definitely are in need of 100% humidity right now.

I'll do my best at trying to get it to recover.... I hope it doesn't die on me.

Hi Rareraven - Where did you get those sad little things? You are in Minn, right? Me too. There are a lot of really bad nurseries around here. In our area it's best to either get plants online (shameless plug: like at FlytrapShop.com), or to trade with local folks, assuming you are near the Cities. I know there is one nursery in the Twin Cities that occasionally sells Neps and they tell people only to water the traps, never the soil mix. :rant: It's something we hear all the time around here, and it's always attributable to the same place. Good luck with those poor little things! But if they don't make it, there are folks around the area that can help you replace them for a second shot at them.

Bonjour

what substrat ? what hygrometry ?

repot with 70% river sand and 30% blonde peat.
always leave the pot in water, with same periods of the spring, full immersion as 'in situ'

jeff

They do seem to like a saturated environment. I mix sand and peat, and topdress with LFS.

Bonjour

see here their environment 'in situ'

primuliflora1.jpg

Pinguicula_primuliflora4.jpg

jeff

Last edited:
Back