What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. moranensis and ? P. moctezumae ?

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Friend of mine gave me two types of pings to play with last fall. So far they've done well with the exception of repeated grackle attacks which almost wiped out the second type.

One type, moranensis, is blooming. Hopefully the others will be gearing up too. Don't know if any pollination will happen even if they do -- I have a lot of orb weavers enjoying my balcony.

The other type has me a bit curious though. My friend is strictly a species person -- whether it be plants or "critters". However, the ping he believes to be P. moctezumae doesn't quite look like the ones I've seen on the web. It's the ping cluster.

It flowered throughout the late fall and winter and into spring. Now it seems to be gearing up again. Here's a bloom from the spring:

I'm wondering if it is a hybrid and, if so, if pehaps any true moctezumae he had hybridized with the moranensis? (How probable would that scenario be?)

I'm sure it's a hybrid. My guess is moctezumae x agnata- based on leaf/plant appearance and flower color.

Thanks, folks.

Sorry Drew, couldn't remember if I had posted that one here and was in a hurry so did not look. :blush: I thought someone had told me that it wasn't actually a pure moctezumae .....

Thanks, folks.

Sorry Drew, couldn't remember if I had posted that one here and was in a hurry so did not look. :blush: I thought someone had told me that it wasn't actually a pure moctezumae .....

No problem, didn't mean to come across rude or frustrated :)

Back