What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. foetida...the carnivorous? Passionflower (Weiner Est $13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
As many of you know, there is some debate as to whether Passiflora foetida is carnivorous or not. Its flowers are surrounded by sticky bracts that ensnare bugs. It is mentioned in Barry Rice's new book (WHICH you can bid on and win a SIGNED copy in another auction). hehe...a little listing plug there. :)

I will take 3 fresh terminal cuttings of my P. foetida plant. It will be up to the recipient to get them rooted. Most Passiflora I have dealt with root pretty easily but I can't make any guarantee since they will be in someone else's hands.

One other mention, I got this a very young plantlet last year. Its growth has just taken off like a rocket but it has yet to flower. Therefore, since I received this from a nursery, I am relying on the fact that they shipped me the correct plant. It looks like P. foetida, its labeled P. foetida...so I assuming its P. foetida as it SHOULD be.

The Foetid Passion Flower or Stinking Passion Flower (Passiflora foetida), also known as the Wild Maracuja or Running Pop, is a creeping vine which has an edible fruit and leave that have a mildly rank aroma. It is native to northern South America and the West Indies and can also be found in South East Asia countries like Vietnam.
The flowers are white to pale cream coloured, about 5-6 cm diameter. The fruit is globose, 2-3 cm diameter, yellowish-orange to red when ripe, and has numerous black seeds embedded in the pulp. The bracts serve as insect traps, but it is as yet unknown whether the plant digests and gains nourishment from the trapped insects or if it merely uses the bracts as a defensive mechanism to protect its flowers and fruit. This is still an issue of debate and research among carnivorous plant enthusiasts.
This passion flower tolerates arid ground, but favours wet areas.

Not winter hardy but you can grow Passiflora indoors (potted or hanging basket) if you provide good light. (I grow them in my basement under lights through the winter).

Add this beautiful flowering vine to your list of "CPs".

Anyway...I will pay shipping; U.S. bidders only. Bidding starts at $2!

$5 Oooooh- my wish for Passiflora has come true. :D Thanks Pak.

Oh no you don't. :p

$13

P. foetida is winging its way to Jonathan. Plus there are a few surprises for you. ;)

Thanks for your vigilence and work with the auction...and donations and bids too!

Reminder to either the sender to send the item or the buyer to to pay for or repoert the item received.

Please don't respond if the status of this auction is up to date. Only post the current status of the auction. This is also to keep the open auctions at the front and put the closed ones in the back.

Suzanne, the package came today, thanks for all of the extras! And thanks to Ozzy, too. ;)

I'll be sure to pummel you with questions during the NASC meeting. :D

The wiener has received his stuff.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back