What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outdoor Half N Half

• Thread starter Halt
  • Start date
So as the title says I'm making a little pond/bog thing outside. Here are some pictures along the way (I'm not completely finished yet) :

DSC_0027.jpg

2011-07-151556461.jpg

(I know it looks messy but I'm just trying to make the peat absorb the water..)

As of right now I just need to know HOW THE HECK TO MAKE THE PEAT SINK?!

Turn it, knead it, move it with your hands... it'll soak eventually.

I thought the title was about leaving some half&half outside and seeing how it looked...

I know it sounds like a great idea on paper, but in practicality....

You're going to have peat leaking out of the peat half and settling on the water side unless you have some kind of screen material. Even then, you're gonna medium escaping to the water half.

You are limiting yourself to half the grow space you could have.

The water side of your bog will become a mosquito hatchery.

The water side will provide a huge amount of surface area for the water to heat up and also evaporate.

IMHO, you're better off using most of that space to grow CPs and forget about the water area. If you really want to see water, leave a much smaller portion.
Alternatively, if you absolutely must have half and half, consider adding some sort of floating water plant to that side, like duckweed - or better yet: water lettuce or water hyacinth.

I was going to put Aquatic Utrics on the waterside. I don't have many plants to grow at the moment, and i could easily make the land portion bigger. I have created a wall on the bottom, with bricks and the top are just rocks which have no space whatsoever to allow the peat to go through. The water part is facing North and the medium is south so I was kind of expecting the Sarracenia to block the waterpart. It's also tilted a little bit to the water part so when it rains the water will just go through one side instead of both.

This is just an expirement :p I'm going to modify.

Update:

DSC_0898.jpg

Now dragonflies are coming as well!
DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0838.jpg

I like what you have done. I would like to do something simular but in the last cople of years our winters in the uk have been bad with heavy snow fall, plus i don't think my 6 kids would leave it alone. But your mini bog looks very nice. Keep us upto date with pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Looks nice!

Back