What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our foundations name

My two cents on the topic of name, is that it must be as understandable to the public as it is us. If this Foundation will be getting non-profit status it sounds like many a congressman, Local politician, or even Governor will be involved to some degree at some future date. It has been my experience that the public gets elected to these positions. Thus, my suggestions:

Feel free to switch around or even ignore. It's just my duty to try!
biggrin.gif

Sarracenia Pitcher Plant Conservation Society
Sarracenia Pitcher Plant Conservation Foundation
National Sarracenia Foundation : Conserving America's Pitcher Plants
The Sarracenia Foundation : The society dedicated in the conservation of America's pitcher plants the Sarracenia

It seems like some more analysis needs to go into the words that we are selecting. We cannot simply create a name using certain words because they "sound better" ie. "conservancy foundation" sounds better than "organization" and so on... under what word(s) does this collection fall? (and all associated with it)

ORGANIZATION
b : an administrative and functional structure (as a business or a political party); also : the personnel of such a structure

CONSERVANCY
b : an organization or area designated to conserve and protect natural resources

FOUNDATION:
3 a : funds given for the permanent support of an institution : ENDOWMENT b : an organization or institution established by endowment with provision for future maintenance
5 a : a body or ground upon which something is built up or overlaid

Personally, I am leaning toward this one:
ASYLUM
4 : an institution for the care of the destitute or sick and especially the insane

INSTITUTION
1 : an act of instituting : ESTABLISHMENT
2 a : a significant practice, relationship, or organization in a society or culture <the institution of marriage>; also : something or someone firmly associated with a place or thing <she has become an institution in the theater> b : an established organization or corporation (as a college or university) especially of a public character; also : ASYLUM

ASSOCIATION
2 : an organization of persons having a common interest

SOCIETY
2 : a voluntary association of individuals for common ends; especially : an organized group working together or periodically meeting because of common interests, beliefs, or profession
3 a : an enduring and cooperating social group whose members have developed organized patterns of relationships through interaction with one another b : a community, nation, or broad grouping of people having common traditions, institutions, and collective activities and interests
4 a : a part of a community that is a unit distinguishable by particular aims or standards of living or conduct : a social circle or a group of social circles having a clearly marked identity <move in polite society> <literary society> b : a part of the community that sets itself apart as a leisure class and that regards itself as the arbiter of fashion and manners

CLUB
3 a : an association of persons for some common object usually jointly supported and meeting periodically; also : a group identified by some common characteristic <nations in the nuclear club>

PRESERVATION
1 : to keep safe from injury, harm, or destruction : PROTECT
2 a : to keep alive, intact, or free from decay b : MAINTAIN
3 a : to keep or save from decomposition b : to can, pickle, or similarly prepare for future use
4 : to keep up and reserve for personal or special use
intransitive senses

That's about all I can think of right now.
Why am I bringing this up? Well it seems like some of the names that have been suggested sound a little redundant

"US National Sarracenia Pitcher Plant preservation conservancy foundation" and so on. Yes I know no one suggested that yet.
"US National" is redundant.

"Conservancy" is a noun, and it is also an organization. A "Conservancy foundation" is redundant. One may as well say "society organization"

"National Sarracenia Conservancy and Preservation Foundation" would need to be "National Sarracenia conservation and preservation foundation." However, do we really need to state that we plan to conserve AND preserve?

Personally, I like the way "North American" sounds. It seems like this organization fits the description of a conservancy and a society.
North American Sarracenia Conservation Society
North American Sarracenia Conservancy
Those sound pretty nifty to me. They don't have any redundant or contradictory words. It makes SENSE. It isn't too intimidating.

Just my two cents
-Trev

This goes out to readers of "The DaVinci Code"
P.S.
The Priory of Sarracenia!

Ah, the things we learn! Thanks Nepenthe! Did you vote the poll? Do so while it is still up!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 25 2004,01:28)]Ah, the things we learn! Thanks Nepenthe! Did you vote the poll? Do so while it is still up!!
poll? which poll is that?
is there one for the name yet?

I like Trev's "North American Sarracenia Conservancy" the best of all the suggestions so far..
and! the initials roll off the tongue nicely too! ;)
"The N.A.S.C."

Scot

I think the N. American Sarracenia Conservancy is a fine name. Kind of sums it up and is easy on the ears and tongue.

I did have a thought today of a twist on the name. I think it gives it a uniqueness, although it may be a bit harder on the ears and tongue.

It is: The North American Sarracenia Gene Bank

I just thought Gene Bank sounded unique and 'cool', and a gene bank is essentially what the project is aiming to be.

Man, I'm jumping in here late, but here goes:

The National Association for the preservation of Sarracenia
The National Associating for the conservation of Sarracenia
or, to use PAK's suggestion of common names:
The National Association for the preservation of American Pitcher Plants
The National Associating for the conservation of American Pitcher Plants

Cheers!

how about National Sarrcenia Collection and Preservation Society. It sounds so professional, and I like it. LOL Just my two cents.

I like "American Pitcher Plant"... that's a good suggestion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] The National Association for the preservation of Sarracenia
The National Associating for the conservation of Sarracenia
or, to use PAK's suggestion of common names:
The National Association for the preservation of American Pitcher Plants
The National Associating for the conservation of American Pitcher Plants

Those sound good. However -not to split hairs here- but it seems like "The National" sounds odd... Who's nation are we talking about?
That is why I prefer "North American"  over "US" or "National".
There's also something to be said for keeping the name short and simple. I don't know how many of you remember "Beverly Hills Cop III" but one of the characters is the director of some obscure element of the police force - he has the title of "D.D.O.J.S.I.C" or something ridiculous like that... ;)

North American Pitcher Plant Conservancy? -that kills two birds with one stone.
'Just jelt like throwin another one out there (no pun intended)
smile.gif

-Trev

I guess when I hear the word "Nation"...I think of the people...not a country per se.

Why does the name have to include National or North American? It goes without saying that the species we're talking about are North American in origin. But some supporters or potential supporters aren't. There's no need to say National or International or Intergalactic or any other geograhic adjective. And there's way too much National already these days. Also, "Sarracenia" has a much nicer sound than "pitcher plant".

Casper, If its time to start the party, where's the party?

Well, since the poll is now locked, I guess discussion can continue here.
Odysseus, I just meant that it's obvious that Sarracenia is North American (or should be).  I made that post before Nick suggested including other pitcher plants.  Are they endangered as well?  
rock.gif
 Personally, I think it's quite enough to focus on Sarracenia - to start with.  
wink.gif

And I would like to thank Plantakiss for all the hard work she has put into this & all she has had to put up with.  Great job!  
biggrin.gif
  I know it has only just begun.  
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lavenderdawn @ Mar. 02 2004,16:12)]Personally, I think it's quite enough to focus on Sarracenia - to start with.  
wink.gif

And I would like to thank Plantakiss for all the hard work she has put into this & all she has had to put up with.  Great job!  
biggrin.gif
  I know it has only just begun.  
smile.gif
Oh...:D Ok Lavendar. Thanks for clearing that up for me...I was baffled for a moment.
biggrin.gif

And yes, I completly agree with you! We should stick to just Sarracenia, it's a lot of work already and we're just trying to name it!
biggrin.gif

Ok, sorry I havn't been to vocal in the last day or so. I had $750,000 worth of work that bid yesterday. (3 jobs, $360K,120K, and 275K. I was low bidder on the latter and am trying to hustle the second
biggrin.gif
)

Currently, I am adding 2 names to the poll.

North American Sarr. Coservancy

North American Pitcher Plant Foundation

If anyone has ANY additions or objections please speak up. I made a judgement call on the last poll, and the fault lies with myself. I really think that North American Sarr. Coservancy is going to win hands down from all the support I have seen for it, but I remain bias.

So if ANYONE has any opinion on the poll which will be put up Thursday and will run the weekend, PLEASE SPEAK UP.

We have been doing a ton of work on this program behind the scenes and its kind of frustrating when we get new opinions after the poll is in place. Conservancy was listed, and I overlooked it, but there where some new names presented that where not originally. So please, if you have an opinion, make it heard.

Paul

The reason I chimed in about Darlingtonia and Heliamphora is that they are also pitcher plants. If the name chosen included the name 'Pitcher Plant' and 'American', it would imply Darlingtonia, Sarracenia, and Heliamphora. Each can be found in the Americas

I prefer Sarracenia Conservancy or, if that's too invasive of Nature Conservancy turf, Sarracenia Conservation Society.

But maybe we should wait until we've been through some debates regarding the group's goals and plans.  Maybe some of the disagreements arise from differing perceptions of what we'll be doing.  Bill Gates didn't name his company Microsoft and then decide whether to sell software or shoes.

I see us as a Sarracenia Conservancy, so gravitate towards that name.  Plus it sounds and looks good.  On the other hand, if we intend to sabotage poachers' vehicles and to sleep naked in the swamps, we might want to consider naming ourselves Sarracenias First!
wink.gif

But, whenever we focus on the name thingy, I think we'll be better off starting with some preliminary polls.  Such as "Sarracenia or Pitcher Plant?", "National or American or North American or no redundant geographic adjectives", "Conservancy or Society or Foundation?" and so on.  The goal isn't to cobble together some frankenstein monster of a name from the winning words, but to eliminate some less popular choices.  Then we can choose a name.

"North American" simply refers to range only.  And you have to remember ...don't faint from shock....but not EVERBODY is a CP enthusiast/grower!  
wow.gif
 The word "sarracenia" doesn't tell John Q Public this is about a North American-specific plant.  Hopefully this organization will be known by non-CP people and organizations as well as the CP community.  We have to remember this isn't all about CP growers, but the general public as well ...as this effort will preserve the plants for John Q. Public's children's future enjoyment and benefit

This group is specificially about sarracenia...not other pitcher plants, only one of which is North American.

A lot of work is being done behind the scenes and the answer must be obvious to those making that effort.  But why do we need a name right now?  I'm guessing it's for filling out incorporation paperwork, but I don't know.

I think the energy of the ongoing name debate would be better focused on discussing what the group is going to do, not what the group will be called.  Yes, we're all interested in saving Sarracenias, but there must be a number of different ideas about what that means and how to do it.  Maybe if the goals/mission/business plan are identified, the name will just fall into place.  A preservation society and a conservancy are very different things.  Which are we going to be?

Back