What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orthene systemic liquid concentrate

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Hi all.. It's been a long time since I have visited, so hello to all my old friends :)

I have a quick question which I hope maybe someone here can help me with. I need to mix a batch of Orthene systemic insect control. My bottle is liquid form, concentrate. The mixing instructions are missing.

If anyone here uses Orthene, I would really appreciate the "recipe" for a minor aphid attack.

Cheers
Steve

personally...I do not recommend Orthene.
It was pulled out of production years ago due to toxicity. Previously manufactured supplies are all that are allowed to be sold at this time.
I hope you can find an alternative.

Good to see you back, Steve.

According to www.pesticideinfo.org the EPA status for Orthene Systemic Insect Control is "active". It is not listed as an EPA restricted use product. However it is probably banned in California since it can not be sold there. Are you still in Texas?

The product status field indicates the registration status of the product, either active or canceled. A pesticide that is actively registered by the U.S. EPA can legally be used in the U.S., except in states where state law is stricter than federal law and prohibits the use of the pesticide.

Specific info "Orthene systemic insect control" lists the active ingredient "Acephate" at 9.40%

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=00023902461&DIST_NR=000239

It currently is sold by Bonide:

http://www.bonide.com/products/product.php?category_id=941

Which lists Acephate at 9.4%.

From the Bonide label:
Mixing Instructions for Roses, Flowers, Ornamentals, Shrubs and Shade Trees:

* Aphids and Grasshoppers: Use 2 TBS (1 Fl Oz) per gallon of water
* Japanese Beetles: Use 4 TBS (2 Fl Oz) per gallon of water
* Other Listed Insects Commonly Found on Ornamental Plants: Use 3TBS (1 1/2 fl oz) per gallon of water.
* 1 Tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
* Clean Sprayer after use by flushing with water.

Spray entire plant covering BOTH sides of foliage thoroughly!

if memory serves me correctly it 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water... I have a few bottles left at the greenhouse so when i run down there this afternoon I will check to make sure.

Hey man ! Good to see you. Let me check my bottle at home. I write the amount on the side so I don't have to figure the stupid thing out every time. Good for when you only want to mix up a 10 oz. spray bottle etc... Later

1 Fl oz (2 Tbs) per gallon of water

HMMM, I must have orthene confused with another product. I need to go over my pesticide literature again.
Sorry for the bad info.:blush:
Be very careful with that stuff!!!

Found the bottle. Kinda old but I only use it once in a while. It's the ortho brand with 8% acephate. The rate I've got on the side is .5 ml to and oz of water. Probably the same as the others use if you work it out.

The majority of the Orthene (Acephate) products have been canceled by the EPA - Systemic Insect Control is not one of them. And for whatever reason it's not available under the Ortho label any longer.

The majority of the Orthene (Acephate) products have been canceled by the EPA - Systemic Insect Control is not one of them. And for whatever reason it's not available under the Ortho label any longer.

Do you happen to know what label it's now sold under? I purchased a bottle of the Ortho Acephate concentrate years ago, and now it's almost all gone. I use it almost exclusively on my CPs and it works wonders with aphids, mealybugs, and almost any other nasty pest.

You're always so helpful in providing pesticide info. Thanks! :bigthumpup::clap:

Oh, and Steve, I've missed your avatar! Hope you stick around.

Joel:

http://www.bonide.com/products/product.php?category_id=941

Unfortunately it cannot be sold in/to California. As I recall Acephate has been linked to the horrible deformities that have been plaguing the frog populations which is probably the EPA pulled most of the products and CA has banned it.

Yeah, I was curious in seeing if the distributor/company had other products in CA stores (under their label).

The downsides of chemical usage to deal with pests is something all of us in this hobby should consider and be aware about.

non-systemic products

I have a shelf full of them. I do not use systemic pesticides, as I grow my own "consumables".
However, I am not sure of the effects these may have on CP's.
If anyone has extra plants they may want to try them on, I can send you some at no cost, just shoot me your addy with the target pest indicated and I will get it to you.
be safe out there, dispose of unused chemicals properly. You may even save a frog!

Thanks everyone for the help. Its been a while since I have needed to mix this stuff. Aphids have always been an anual problem for me, but as its been a few years since I have had any plants to worry about, I havent had the need to treat, obviously. Orthene has always worked wonders on my plants and since my bottle is still almost full I suspect I will be using it for a good while to come.

Cheers
Steve

Back