What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

orchid bark mix?

Hello,

Anyone just use orchid bark mix for there Nepenthes plants? Perhaps the medium size with charcoal added. I have been using it for a few N. vents and sangs with no problems as far as I can tell. I just mist the soil top a bit more than usual but they seem to not mind. I started using this mix to safe guard from root rot from me perhaps watering too much. Forgive me if this question has been asked many times before.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I use an orchid (fir) bark based mixes for my neps as well.
orchid bark, charcoal, LFS, perlite, with a top layer of live LFS for highlands.
Remove the layer of live LFS for HL veitchii and veitchii x hybrids.
Add a thin sandy peat top layer for intermediates/LL's.

That's my recipe anyways..

I use the same mix as Mass does...great results.

My compost is similar to Mass's, though I substitute pumice for perlite, to avoid its salts, especially with seedling plants; and also because perlite is concentrated pure evil . . .

I use orchid bark, lfs, aps, pumice, charcoal, sometimes a dash of peat, and a live lfs top layer for all neps.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful. After reading all the mixes I probally should add somethings to the orchid bark to hold a little more moisture. By itself it just seems just a bit too dry.

I do however like the smell of orchid bark when it gets wet though :-))

Thanks everyone.

I use a mix of coir, charcoal, and perlite with LFS as a top cover none in the mix and my neps seem to love it! I grow them on a tray system with about 1/2" water and I just top water whenever all the water in the tray evaporates. I guess everybody has there own preferred mix!

Back