What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One large Nepenthes truncata!

I was at the Golden Gate conservatory of flowers to see the carnivorous plant display and I saw this humongous N. truncata flowering (male I think, if you zoom in on the upper left hand corner you see a flower).
The leaves are I think 2 feet across.:0o:

Ramon:grin:

N. truncata at the Conservatory of Flowers CA.
14706488610_9cd3d037ee_c.jpg

That thing is a monster.

The leaves can be used to make truncatamales. :lol:

At the rate my truncata is growing I should have that in...... 10years, how big are those traps.

That particular N. truncata is potted in a hanging wooden orchid basket somewhere under that pile of leaves -- the bottom was dangerously close to falling out the last time I was there this January. Did you find their nicely-sized N. robcantleyi specimen, too? :)

That is one spectacularly well-grown plant.

That particular N. truncata is potted in a hanging wooden orchid basket somewhere under that pile of leaves -- the bottom was dangerously close to falling out the last time I was there this January. Did you find their nicely-sized N. robcantleyi specimen, too? :)

Yes I did! I think it has 11" ++ pitchers that Nephenthes robcantleyi is an expressive size plant.

Ramon:grin:

Nephenthes robcantleyi the Conservatory of Flower at SF.

14719071289_b4378c93ce_z.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing the photograph above, the containers that they are growing their Nepenthes in seem rather small.

Seeing the photograph above, the containers that they are growing their Nepenthes in seem rather small.
If you're watering daily or the plants are receiving frequent mist, the container size ceases to matter as long as it provides sufficient drainage and doesn't dry out.

If you're watering daily or the plants are receiving frequent mist, the container size ceases to matter as long as it provides sufficient drainage and doesn't dry out.

I concur. I have a truncata hybrid in a four inch pot and the leafspan now exceeds 18", and yet the plant isn't troubled at all by the small pot.

Yep!

Last edited:
Back