What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OMG! Rabies

As I understand it the shots are in the arm now. As for the vaccine you get before exposure to the disease it only gives you a longer period to recieve treatment and reduces the number of injections needed it does not give you long term protection like many vaccines.

The video was disturbing but many diseases are very disturbing in their final stages. Many diseases are even more visually disturbing than rabies when they finally reach their final stages.

As an odd side note does anyone know where I can see a video of Kuru(laughing death)? I know Gajdusek shot a video when he was studying the disease but I have never seen it. I have had a strange yet morbid facination with spongy encephalopathies after reading Deadly Feasts by Rhodes. If anyone knows of a video of this please pass it along to me.

....Prion diseases are gross. Blah. No thank you.

what are they?
I seem to also have a morbid curiosity when it comes to diseases, like small pox, but mostly neurological ones such as rabies

Then you'll like this.

You get it from eating brains. Whoooooooooo!

Like the people who eat monkey brains in Asia?

The people of Papua NG would eat the brains of their dead relatives. It was a ritual.

I hate to be ethnocentric but... well never mind. I wont' disrespect primitive people. It's not like they knew any better than to not eat the brains of their dead loved ones.

I'm gonna have to email one of the FSU professors about both of those diseases, they are very interesting.

It worked for them for a long time, until someone got infected or had a mutation and then became a meal. A dead person is a lot of protein and, as some people say; waste not, want not. Many of the popular prion books have a chapter on that. It's kind of like when all the vampires died of AIDS. Or so said the World Weekly News back in the 80s. A once reliable lifestyle falls victim to change.

Those were very wise words of enlightenment.
thanks you :hail:

i for one hate prions...getting killed by a cyclic protein would make me really angry

As I understand it the shots are in the arm now.

When my dad went in to get his rabies shots aftrer having been bitten (or so we suspected) they gave him several shots local to the wount (his bit toe- OUCH) and then one in the bum to top it all off. I think you go in for the initial one and there are two or three follow-ups.

i for one hate prions...getting killed by a cyclic protein would make me really angry

lol! Beautifully put. :-))

spongy encephalopathies are amazingly interesting. If you are really interested in them I highly recomend Deadly Feasts by Rhodes. Its well written and not too technical to understand. I think the worst part about spongy encephalopathies is the fact that you do not suffer dimentia but lose control of your muscles. This means the likely cause of death is starvation or dehydration which you are completely aware of the whole time. I also love the fact that you can be infected for over twenty years and not show any symptoms.

As for the spread of Kuru it was caused by the ritual consumption of dead relatives by women and children, who were the most likely to show Kuru. The cannibalism,like all cannibalism in people, was completely ritual as the amount of protein that a person would get from it was negligable as they would cannibalise one maybe two people a year. Though this assumption is wide spread in non anthropological circles. The ritual was believed to help the deceased continue to "live on in spirit" through their relatives.

JustLikeAPill, first you disrespected them by calling them primative as that puts a value judgement on differnt lifestyles. Non-westernized or non-industrialized is prefered. Secondly our culture partakes in many activies, like fragmenting families, that the Fore would find just as reprehensible as we find cannibalism.

My sister got bit by some Amish guy's dog a couple years back err.. like 10 and the police made them put the dog down to test it for rabies... and uhh.. he shot it in the head in their backyard...which was a stupid idea because they need the brain intact to test it for rabies. So she had to get the vaccinations. It was like a series of 10 shots in various locations, a couple of em she had to get done in New Mexico which.. were the worst according to her because the doctors didn't know what they were doing.

If it makes you feel any better, none of them will ever know what I said :) Seriously If I offended you, sorry.

Damn I just realized that if suddenly they had money no one would think they were so primitive. Man if that's not the capitalist in me I don't know what is. Some may say Yuppie but that would put a value judgment on different lifestyles lol. Just kidding, you know I love you!

it's like the point at school that i realised that i had just called the general public a bunch of plebs. i then decided that my school was getting to me...

What is a pleb? A plebian?

Oh man don't call people that. That's not coolio. Snobbishness (snobbiety? Snoobynoot? lmao) is very unattractive.

Haha, snobriety lmao. Next time I run into Jeff the crackhead from NA I'm gonna ask him how the snobriety is going lmao. Whoo I crack myself up sometimes. No pun intended lmao.

Yeah, Isn't that like Mad Cow Disease? with the proteins and the brains and the death?

yeh thats the one. There are others, but thats the one you are thinking of.

JustLikeAPill how do you know that none of them will know what you said? even though they are "primative" people they do have computers and the internet in Papua New Guinea. LOL. Just messing with you man. In my opinion money is not what creates the preception of "primative" it has more to do with having western/european values. Papua New Guinea actully has recently found oil and is making some good money off of it as well as coffee plantations so money isnt quite as important as most people think in making people "civilized"

Oh man you got me lol. I was afraid you had backed me into a PC corner lol.

Back